Bullet selection 6.5 CR-Hunting

GByrd

Hey guys, got ahold of some powder today...H4831 and IMR 4064. The plan is still to shoot 120 grain pills; I think the H4831 will not work for that...Pickings are so slim; been looking for unique for a good year or so now, just glad I stocked up on 296 for my 44s..

What would you guys suggest bullet wise for southern white tail deer? Intended ranges are a max of 400 yards(given I can become that comfortable over the summer). 15" barrel.

The brush is extremely thick here, so either a DRT type scenario or good blood trail would be appreciated...given I can do my part.

Ordering dies and the like. Really enjoying this pistol and looking forward to this coming deer season more than I have any other for a long while. Contemplating going pretty soon to try to get a pig or two, but we're already experiencing triple digits here so that's holding me back, lol.

The 120 ballistic tip and the 120 Sierra SP have really worked well for me in my 6.5X55 rifles on these deer. Preference goes to the ballistic tip. I shoot the 125 ballistic tip in my 14" Contender in 30-30AI at 2670 fps and it is AWESOME on these deer. I would expect the same from the .264 120 gr BT.
Shot placement is really the key to DRT. Put that bullet into the shoulder preferably in the upper 1/2 of the shoulder and you will get more DRT results. There is not that much really edible meat on the front shoulders anyway. I will gladly sacrifice this meat to not have to crawl around in that thick jungle of green briar and cotton mouths.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.