Bullet seating gage Do I need one????

Don't know what "bullet seating gage" your refering to. But if you reload, you measure your seating depth and set your dies.

I prefer Sinclair's bullet 'nut'(I don't remember what they call it). Just a nut with different cal holes drilled on each flat. Use this with a caliper.

Sounds like you are a reloading newbie?

If so, forget seating gages, you really don't need that extra complexity yet and it would be of little help. Just go by your loading manual's suggestions for seating depth instead. And understand that the book OAL is NOT a "law", it's just a suggested starting place, same as the powder charge data.

Ditto bullet comparitors, you are unlikely to need one now. Later, when you are totally comfortable with the basics is plenty soon enough to get one of those. You will know when you are ready for that, all by yourself! Sure, BR shooters have reason to measure off the bullets ogive but sporter rifles and bullets rarely, if ever, will notice any difference when measured off the bullet nose!

You WILL need a way to measure case lengths and loaded OAL. That's best done with a 6" stainless steel dial caliper that reads in thousanths of an inch. Those sold by Harbor Freight Tools and MidwayUSA (do a web search if you aren't familiar with them) are plenty good enough, as good as any other sold for less than $100 anyway.

Don't be confused by the widely varying prices from various reloading brands, they are identical to the less expensive ones which are frequently on sale at HF for as little as $12, all are actually made in the same Chinese plant. Spending more here will get you nothing. Do get a dial type, the attractive digitals need new batteries too often and are no more accurate.

Gages are our friends . . . you need them if you're to progress to "handloading" beyond simple "reloading." As L.E. Wilson once said, "You don't know what you think, you only know what you measure!"

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Man I didnt decribe this good at all. I will watch the video again and get back to this post. What I was decribing isent what you guys are decribing.

Im not new to reloding but I am trying new things and I am by no means and expert thanks for the help so far.

I'm pretty sure that I know what you are talking about now....and no you don't need it. All you need to do is create a dummy round for your rifle so you will know the distance to the lands and you can start loading based on this. Of course all the general warnings apply....seating into the lands (ITL) can create excessive pressure....so be cautious.

Do a search. There are tons of posts from folks on here that address this topic as well has how certain bullets tend to like to be loaded ITL....some like minimal jump and others like more jump.

Actually, I believe I remember you posting about jumping Barnes bullets, so I'm sure you know what you are doing as relates to the dummy round. But then you need a comparator to get a true measured COAL.

Take care,

TXLR

I guess I dont know what the tool in the video is for then Daryl Holland called it a "bullet seating guage" I had never seen one and though it might improve my handloads a little.

It would have to be made for my rifle with the same reamer used on my rifle chamber.

I guess I dont know what the tool in the video is for then Daryl Holland called it a "bullet seating guage" I had never seen one and though it might improve my handloads a little.

It would have to be made for my rifle with the same reamer used on my rifle chamber.

Yes, I understand what you are talking about....and you don't necessarily have to have it.

If I were going that route, I would just have your gunsmith make you a complete set of custom dies. Guys that do this generally also purchase their own reamer so they can continue to have re-barrel work done and it really doesn't effect their custom matched dies because their reamer is only used on their rifles. In other words the reamer is not used for multiple chambering jobs, thereby changing the reamer by the time you shot out your barrel and had the gunsmith re-barrel. (Hope that wasn't too confusing.....it's getting late...lol).

TXLR

Gotta say no to the bullet seating gauge as presented in the AGI video. It only measures the length of the cartridge where it meets the lands. Maybe handy for 200 rounds, but as your throat erodes the gauge (chambered with the reamer of your custom barrel becomes worthless. Other better ways to measure and keep up with throat erosion.

Gotta say no to the bullet seating gauge as presented in the AGI video. It only measures the length of the cartridge where it meets the lands. Maybe handy for 200 rounds, but as your throat erodes the gauge (chambered with the reamer of your custom barrel becomes worthless. Other better ways to measure and keep up with throat erosion.

Excellent point.

"It would have to be made for my rifle with the same reamer used on my rifle chamber."

Okay, think I better understand now. IF I do, you mean the gunsmith can chamber a cut-off setion of YOUR barrel for use as a gage, rather than just using the rifle's chamber itself. ??

I'm sure some BR type folks like that but I agree with Mr. nheninge. Since we sorta have to chase the lands as they errode anyway I prefer to just check max (i.e., to the lands) seating depth as I go.

"It would have to be made for my rifle with the same reamer used on my rifle chamber."

Okay, think I better understand now. IF I do, you mean the gunsmith can chamber a cut-off setion of YOUR barrel for use as a gage, rather than just using the rifle's chamber itself. ??

I'm sure some BR type folks like that but I agree with Mr. nheninge. Since we sorta have to chase the lands as they errode anyway I prefer to just check max (i.e., to the lands) seating depth as I go.

Sorry for the redundancy......but, once again, I agree.

TXLR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.