Bullet Recommendation and Questions

timeless61

I am trying to decide what bullet to use for a 300 wsm. Now that I have a 338, it is not much of a long range rig, 400-500 yards would be absolute max shot. I will be primarily hunting whitetail and black bear in pa. I will not be shooting any smaller bears, I do not think that matters a whole lot though. But its primary use will be sitting in stands with it, where shots are much closer. I have a 30-06 to walk with, and the 338 for long range. My question is, what bullet would be my overall best for what I want to do? at close range, I do not trust the bergers or a-max's from what I have seen on wet newspaper… also, I would prefer a boat tail type bullet, for whatever reason, the gun seems to shoot them much better.

Which brings me to my next question, how do partitions generally shoot? I tried shooting them in the 300 wsm, and they grouped very poorly. I was using reloader 17 which has not given great groups in the past, but not as bad as what the partitions did, also, same experience with a 30-06, I have a load for the 30-06 which shoots ANY 150 grain boat tail bullet very well, but will not group partitions well, is it a partition thing, or flat base or..??

Also, how is reloader 17 working out for people? I have had pretty high ES, and not as good accuracy as like H4350, but, it has given much better velocities.

timeless,

I haven't had any issues with either bergers or A-max on whitetail ,even at close range they do the job well. I'm planning on a black bear hunt this winter and will be using 180 gr, Nosler ballistic tips over H-4350.

Mike

Take a good look at the Barnes TTSX bullets (not the MRX although they look alike) the MRX is a fine bullet but quite expensive ($35-$40per 20). The TTSX if a great bullet with the available boat tail you were asking for. I would personally recommend either the 150 or the 168, don't bother with anything heavier; aim to break bone & you should never be disappointed.

I will look at them, how do the ballistic tips hold up, my main worry with a ballistic tip is a bigger bear. and as far as deer go, generally if its a buck I will shoot heart and lung, but doe I usually shoot head or high neck.

So, it seems like I want something in between, it can't pencil through a deer not hitting major bone, but it can't completely blow up on a bigger bear without penetrating some first.

There are quite a few guys that use the ballistic tip for long range work, but the general acceptance is that the ballistic tip is somewhat less than reliable at short range & high velocity. There are also a bunch of shooters using the Accubond to great success, not quite as tough as the Barnes, for heart/lung shots I would tend to think the Accubond may be slightly better in terms of expansion; although a 150 TTSX loaded to top velocity would be VERY effective, even on a heart/lung shot.

Can you tell i'm a Barnes shooter?! lol

Try the Accubond, I haven't shot a Barnes since starting to use them and has tuned into my go to bullet. They work good on bone and good for hitting them in soft spots!

I shoot the 180 gr accubonds and the balistic tips through mine
they both have the same bc and flight path.
That means I can shoot the cheaper balistic tips at targets abd varmits and the accubonds at game.
Retiredcpo

There's no question the 300 WSM shoots the bigger bullets just fine. Some argue that it's a "magnum" so it should push a big bullet. But I like a little balance with the case design, so with the case being short, and the neck being short, I like the 165/168 class bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts