Bullet Recomendation for .243

Greg Duerr

I have found out that my rifle loves flat base bullets....................However other than the Speer Grand Slam, Sierra Pro Hunter, and he Hornady Spire point those are the only flat base bullets im aware of .

Does anyone know of any others...

G

Set back the barrel and fix your throat issue ? There should be more than enough shank left for that. The 243 is a common cartridge and any decent smith should have a reamer for it.

You might want to try 95gr Hornady SST's otherwise. Not quite as good as a Berger, but decent. For me going to the Berger was a step up from the SST.

I have really good luck with the 58gr. and 87gr. Vmax's. Settled for the 87's for bucking the wind and to slow the bullet down for barrel wear. Hard to find the 87's though.

Jason

My .243 is shooting really good using a 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter. .404 last time out to the Range ..................This is a huge improvement over trying boat-tail bullets ........I did shoot my black bear last year using a 95gr berger . Great performance dropped him in his tracks at 211 yards but in order to get my groups tight I had to turn the velocity way way up 48.5 gr of RL 19
Im still in the experimental stages with the Pro Hunter and will do some load work up this monday.
I will be using this load for Mule Deer and Elk this fall.

G

I have killed elk, deer and antelope with my .243. Never a bear. i used 95 partition for elk. what rifle do you shoot??

I have found out that my rifle loves flat base bullets....................However other than the Speer Grand Slam, Sierra Pro Hunter, and he Hornady Spire point those are the only flat base bullets im aware of .

Does anyone know of any others...

G
You didn't say:
what your rifle is
twist
purpose of round (target vs. varmint vs. medium game)

If it's target, keep shooting what works. Berger FB target and FB Column work great for me.

I'm shooting 65grs Berger FB Columns in my 1954 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, 10 twist. The load was one I worked up to get a 1961 Sako L579 Forester Mannlicher to shoot. Works really well for the Model 70. I'll shoot them until I run out. Then on to V-Max's.

I really like Hornady V-Max and A-Max for target or (if I ever do it) varmint in any caliber. At present I'm loading V-Max for 223 and A-Max for 260 and 300WSM (208s).

I shoot a custom Rem 700 .243 Ackley......24in Pac Nor SM 1x9 #4

Right now I shoot the 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter............have no Experiance with Elk but logic tells me that that bullet behind the shoulder should be more than enough assuming that my range is no more than 250 yards......................

Tell me about your Elk with the .243 how did it all play out.

.243 Ackley and 44.2gr of H4350 Fed 210..............................100gr Sierra Pro Hunter. I was getting groups that went right at .4 seating the bullets .005 off, however when I changed to .000 off my average groups went right at .289, .296, and .306. I have not cronoed the loads yet but will this weekend.

I have no reason to try anything else...........as the Sierra is such an accurate bullet in my rifle and Im sure will preform on Deer and Cow Elk as well as anything out there.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.