Bullet quandry...

25 Otter

Howdy folks. I just got home from a range session with a couple (3) rifles. I need a couple sugestions if you will. Old "Cruncher" the 300 RUM, just smoked some 168gr A-MAX into pretty little 3 leaf clovers. I orriginally loaded them to be used for 400yd target shooting. Not exactly my first choice for hunting,especially elk. So, what would you all reccommend as an elk bullet to replace the A-MAX? In hopes of mirroring it's performance on paper? If I can find a quality hunting slug that shoots like those A-MAXs did, I'll be one happy camper :cool:.

Accubond, Berger, Barnes, or Nosler partitioned would be my choice. The A-Max would work well for shots between 200 and 600 yard though. My last elk was killed with a Barnes and it worked well, but the shot was under 100 yards. It depends upon the distance you plan to shoot!

Last edited:
I use the 168 VLD (hunting) in my 300 RUM, works very well for me. Farthest shot on Elk so far is 512 yds. very accurate and deadly.

What makes the Berger hunting different than their target line? Anyone have a pic or two of recovered Berger bulets? From what I've been told we'll be hunting ravines. (south west Colorado unit 67) Shots hanging around the 200yd mark, with longer oppertunites possible. I was told to bring the lightest handiest high-power in the safe,but it's hard to leave the 300 at home. The back up will however be a featherweight 30/06 M70. In case I'm wrong,lol.

Howdy folks. I just got home from a range session with a couple (3) rifles. I need a couple sugestions if you will. Old "Cruncher" the 300 RUM, just smoked some 168gr A-MAX into pretty little 3 leaf clovers. I orriginally loaded them to be used for 400yd target shooting. Not exactly my first choice for hunting,especially elk. So, what would you all reccommend as an elk bullet to replace the A-MAX? In hopes of mirroring it's performance on paper? If I can find a quality hunting slug that shoots like those A-MAXs did, I'll be one happy camper :cool:.
If you are happy with the performance of these I'd say give the interbond and interlock's a look.

They come in similar weights and should perform just as well.

They are devastating bullets that penetrate deep and retain their weight with good controlled expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.