Bullet Preformance

Night Shooter

I just built a new Surgeon in .338 LM. :) Does anyone have any first hand experience with a bullet that will open up and preform correctly @ 1,000 yards or more running around 1800 fps @ 1,000 yards ? I was looking at the .225 Barnes TSX BT. The BC looks really good. I have used their TSX bullets in Africa and in North America with 100 % sucess..but at closer distances and higher muzzle velosities.

I just found your site. I did not know that many people shot the distances that I like to shoot. Glade to find other shooters that have the same "long Range Bug" as I do.

Night Shooter

Night Shooter:

You won't be on this site long before realizing that the 300 SMK is
currently the favored bullet in a big 338. But there are high bc 338 bullets
being developed that a lot of people want to try. The Hornady 300 Amax,
a Berger VLD, and lead-core, aluminum-tipped bullets from several sources
are hopefully near at hand.

Hang around and we'll see what developes.

Well, I'll hang around hopefully for a while ! The 1,600 fps (speed needed top open their bullets) that Barnes Bullets is claiming sounds interesting with their .225 TSX BT bullet. According to their B.C. and my program at 1,000 yards this should still be running around 1,800 fps wich is enough to make the bullet preform correctly...we'll see.gun)

GG shot that elk at 1300 a couple years ago with the 225 accubond. the speed would be well below 1800 and it tore that elk up. i was gonna suggest the 250 gr Accubond.

the Barnes bullets are a great bullet out to 500 but when you're talking 700+, accuracy becomes the main issue with terminal performance being a close second. that's why the match bullets are so popular.they are very accurate at long distances and the thin skin makes them open on game at low velocities. i shoot the 250SMK in my 338/300 that's a carbon copy to your Lapua, because i feel it will work better out to 1k. beyond that the 300 is king.

Thanks for all the info on the bullets. I'll try the 225 Gr. Barnes bullets @1,000 ans see how they shoot. I'm at 5,572 feet above sea level and usually around 40 degrees (Montana Mountains). The 250 SMK are shopoting fairly well...I haven't tried the 300 SMK but will do some reasearch on the b.c. of that bullet and see how it flies.

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.