Bullet Performance Test - Chapter 3 - & the Winner is!

royinidaho

Here's some pics of the bullet that won the gold metal.

It out penetrated the speer spitzer even though the spitzer started out at 3000 FPS w/an effective hit distance of 100 yds. This hit w/an effective impact distance of 590 yds. Scratches on the lead says it hit some bone. the shot was right where'd you'd want it. It hit the thickest part of the plate on both sides. Penetration path was very nearly straight, if not exactly straight.

Target width:
Width-and-Plate-Thickness.jpg

Plate thickness:
Plate-Thickness.jpg

Imbedded bullet:
And-The-Winner-Is.jpg

The Bullet:
225-NAB-Side.jpg

Top of bullet:
225-NAB-Top-View.jpg

My conclusion:

I'm switching to 150 Bergers for the 270 Allen Mag and

Switching from the 300 SMK @ 2735 to the 225 NAB at 3000+ if they shoot good. But hey, they did hit the pig;)

Switching from Hornacy 140s in the 270 Win to 140 Bergers if they shoot good. That'll turn it into nearly 1K rifle......

Last edited:
Great job.

I am surprised at the Berger´s performance.

I am not surprised at the Accubonds result and pleased that they did what I expected.-

Thanks for the work and info.

Petenz,

They were too deep, It was too hot, 101*F and way too many flies.

I'm going to them in both my 270 Win and 270 AM.

Sorry......

Roy,

Impressive test, you put a lot of effort into this one.
The 225 gr AB looks pretty impressive, any thoughts on the 250 gr AB?

JD338

Thanks for all the effort that you put into this! I will be using the .257 Wby Mag this Fall in Wy., and I need to get the VLD's to shoot in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.