Bullet Performance Myth Buster - A must watch

Thanks Roy. That puts it in perspective. Alot of energy there. No wonder those critters jump around when hit with those projectiles! :) JohnnyK.

Awesome video.
Enjoyed it a lot!!!
How does 1 million frames per second look to ya!: makes bullets look like LIQUIDS on impact. Real cool.
Thanks for posting it Roy.

Awesome video.
Enjoyed it a lot!!!
How does 1 million frames per second look to ya!: makes bullets look like LIQUIDS on impact. Real cool.
Thanks for posting it Roy.

I'm of the opinion that the lead cores of high velocity jacketed bullets ARE liquid as they impact on a solid surface. When a bullet splatters some of it's energy remains as kinetic energy of the fragments but the core is heated too.

I've watched .223 bullets impact on steel armor l plate though a Gen III night vision scope. They flash on impact which means the splattering core is hot enough to emit infrared energy in the 800 to 950 nanometer (0.8 to 0.95 micron) wavelength range. Significant emission at that wavelength requires a surface of at least 800 F which is hot enough to be molten.

is there a good reason that you all don't post a link to it to shear it with the rest of us? none of you did that.

Apparently the link by the first poster worked for most people.

Just go to youtube and search for "million fps bullet Kurzzeit"

The editor on the Long Range Hunting site grabs any URL I post and trys to link it,

Kurzzeit is a company which makes high speed video cameras and accessories.
kurzzeit.com - Startseite has some additional videos. on their site.

Last edited:
Great video!!

What type of bullet has the "pointed" base?

What were some of the pistol bullets hit with in mid flight?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.