Bullet lube when seating?

Do you use lube when seating bullets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would think that as rounds set the sizing wax would contaminate the powder. Especially if the bullets were setting upright and in the heat.

I haven't had any problems yet but I use so little of it on the bullet. I have run the rounds out to a mile and have had no issues yet. I was worried about that as well but as of yet...no issues. I do believe that I will try some of the stuff that Broz is using though since it seems to have the same effect.

For those of you using the imperial dry graphite lube, are you just putting the graphite in a small container and dipping your case necks? I've always just applied imperial sizing wax to the bullets with my fingers. Which works well but I'm always looking to speed up the process.

My thinking is if you are a good reloader but not a great reloader, then maybe using a little dry lube on the bullet could help alleviate some of the inconsistencies of neck tension that take more knowledge to otherwise control. Maybe this is not a good take on the idea?

I also think sometimes i dont start bullets straight, and maybe the reduced friction would help the bullet self align. Again i dont know if this is true, just brainstorming.

The pill always starts straight when you use an RCBS Gold Medal Seater... It's top load in the front.

As a ruls I don't roll my cases on a lube pad, just use my thumb and forefinger on the pad and 'caress' the brass prior to sizing.

Simple actually. The GM seaters all have a sliding caliber specific insert that carries the pill in alignment with the seater barrel itself. You advance the case upwards until it contacts the insert, drop in the pill from the top/front and then continue the ram travel upwards, seating the pill. The seat depth is controlled with a micrometer head on top. Everything stays in perfect alignment because the insert is a precision fit in the seater barrel. It's actually such a close fit that it takes an ocassional drop of oil to keep it sliding easily.

You can buy one seater die and change out the inserts and shell holders for every caliber. I get them direct from RCBS but I see Midway has them as well.

I like the micrometer head because I can record the insertion depth, switch to something else and redial the depth and go back to the previous seating depth no issue (so long as you don't move the seater itself) in the press. I tend to find a medium for all my loads, lock the adjustment nut on the seater die and adjust with the micrometer head.

I don't like inserting pills from the bottom side, something I have to do with pistoil reloads. Wish RCBS made a GM seater for handgun loads too.

I think RCBS 'borrowed' the idea from Pacific Tool and Gage but I'm not sure on that.

I use Neolube No2, you can get it at hobby stores or online. It's colloidal graphite suspended in isopropanol. It comes in a 2 oz bottle with a brush. I give it a shake and apply it to the inside of the neck with a Q-tip, then leave it upside down in the loading block to dry before priming. It is easier and quicker to apply than the imperial because you wont get it on the outside of the case, then have to wipe it off(at least I did). It is some slick stuff. Works good for the intended purpose, but as stated on this thread already, in a hunting gun you might have them pull out in a magazine under fire. IMO the Imperial dry lube with the applicator beads is a happy medium between Neolube and an unlubed case.

Sidecar,
It sounds like the rcbs seating die would be well worth the money if nothing else for the peace of mind.

More and more im starting to think graphite in alcohol may be the way to go?

Sidecar,
It sounds like the rcbs seating die would be well worth the money if nothing else for the peace of mind.

More and more im starting to think graphite in alcohol may be the way to go?

I think so (RCBS GM seater). I really don't like feeding pills from the underside of a conventional seater. It's an exercise in making sure your fingers don't get pinched and you always have the issue of....'Do I have it started straight' whic is a non issue with the top loading RCBS seater.

I'd like to see RCBS do the same seater for handgun loads. Setting say a 150 grain jacketed hollow point in 44 mag is an exercise in being careful because there isn't a whole bunch of room on the underside between getting the pill in the bellmouth (brass) and engaging the die itself.

They are't cheap but you can buy one complete seater die (in your favorite caliber) and get the seater plugs and shell holders for any caliber and use the same body.

What exactly is Neolube used for? That sounds like something worthwhile too.

Neolube is used in nuclear applications as a non contaminate lubricant. Hobbyists use it for model trians or something. I got mine from a hobby store online. It goes on wet and dries to a graphite film, evenly inside the neck. I use a Redding bushing die for my 6.5-284 with a .290 bushing and that gives me about .004 neck tension with Lapua brass. When seating with the competition seating die, the 140 Bergers slip right in. Definitely different feeling without the lube. Google it and you'll find it

Turns out there is a guy in town that works on N plants (he's a certified welder, high pressure, exotic alloys) and he has a couple gallon jugs but it's No. 1 Neolube instead of No. 2. He said I could have a bit of I wanted it. Probably will take some for the time when I switch from Sierra's, to some other brand, if ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.