Bullet jammed in the barrel

I did the same thing to a 300 Wby used a wooden dowel it broke off and stuck in the barrel I then used a long drill bit with tape around it to protect the barrel and drilled it out from receiver end drove out the dowel with a steel rod threw the center of the bullet i tried another wooden dowel it broke so i wraped the stell rod with electrical tape and tried again the bullet is still in the barrel dont no if the Kreiger barrel is ruined i would take it to a gun smith:)

If you guys want to come and play with explosives come on down there isn't to many of us. I don't think I would let you load any of the holes on the pattern though. I would let you pull the trigger on about 20,000-50,000lbs(typical day) of anfo/emulsion blend.

If you do use the black powder thing please get an ample distance back(100ft.) I know how people think it isn't enough to do anything, but a cap(PETN) the size of a pencil will send a person's hard hat about 150ft in the air. Respect what you are working with, because it can kill you.

Brent

If you are going to use a little fire why not just prime a case, load it with a minimum load, use a fiber wad to keep the powder in place and let her fly...put the rifle in sandbags and use a string to pull the trigger...make sure you make a video and post it here when you are done...and to the lawyers out there it was definitely not my idea to actually do this...

Bad Idea - Don't do this.

I once did the same thing and an older silhouette shooter gave me pliers and told me to take the bullet out of a loaded round. I did so, took out a little of the powder, and put the shell in while holding the rifle straight up. I looked away, covered my face with one hand and pulled the trigger. Bullet came out and the case showed no pressure signs. Not something I'd do for fun, but I would do it again if I had another bullet stuck.

I once did the same thing and an older silhouette shooter gave me pliers and told me to take the bullet out of a loaded round. I did so, took out a little of the powder, and put the shell in while holding the rifle straight up. I looked away, covered my face with one hand and pulled the trigger. Bullet came out and the case showed no pressure signs. Not something I'd do for fun, but I would do it again if I had another bullet stuck.

Only if it was stuck in the lands and putting a shell in as you describe, reseates the bullet INSIDE the case. If the bullet were stuck up in the barrel, please don't do this as pressures would be VERY high and you could really mess things up.

AJ

Re: Bullet AND jag jammed in the barrel

:)Okay, so of all my posts ever this one generated the most interest it seems...

Well somewhere between our initial conversation and my saying lets give it till Monday to see what ideas guys have, the dude in question tried tapping it out with a cleaning rod - with a jag attached. Hmmm.... pointed bullet and fairly pointed jag. So the whole deal slips and the jag jams between the bullet and the rifling.

But it gets even better - he manages to strip the threads on the jag when removing the rod. I didn't even ask what caliber rod it was.

Now the title changes to: "Bullet and cleaning jag jammed in the barrel"! :rolleyes:

Guys thanks for the input.

Some really good ideas and at least now I know if this ever happens to me; which I hope it will not. Thanks for the input; I don't expect further suggestions. He is on his own now.

By the way, for lightly jammed bullets I like the idea of a failry snug fitting heavy brass rod to drop onto the bullet.

I also like the idea of tapping it out with a tight fitting dowel.

But as this now excludes the black powder solution I'm sort of disappointed.

By the way, I'm in South Africa, so a "Southern" setting would have been possible, but "Appalachian" would require a bunch of travel!

Thanks again guys. I'm sorry to disappoint those of you who were hoping for a good video. I'll let you know how he works it out. Potentially I see a rechambering in his future.

WL

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.