Bullet jammed in the barrel

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by LRHWAL, May 28, 2009.

1. LRHWAL

LRHWAL Well-Known Member

Usually when guys start something out by saying "my friend wants to know..." then it's their own problem, particularly if it's an embarrassing one, but in this case it really is a friends problem.

I recall having seen something here on this long ago, but I'm not certain, and I'm having no luck on the search function.

So, a friend tells me he loaded a cartridge (on a single stage no less) and "forgot" the powder. The primer put the bullet just into the rifling and the question is how to get it out.

It seems that he may have created more problems by beating it on one end with a rod and also by drilling and tapping the other (as it's literally just in), but I'm asking for advice as if it's still a bullet in a good condition as a starting point. Any ideas as to how to deal with a messed up bullet are also welcome, but that's a different case altogther I think.

I can't really say how it looks as I haven't seen it. I figure he may need to pull the barrel off to get closer and then ream out the inside, but suggestions are welcome.

It's a 300 WM, bullet is probably a 190 SMK (his favourite)!

Thanks.

WL

2. noel carlson

noel carlson Well-Known Member

WL,

You will need a rod, some black powder, a candle, and a safe place.

PM me for details.

Best,
    Noel

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Please set up a video camera if you do decide to blast it out. :D

4. JeffVN

JeffVN Well-Known Member

I admit to doing the same thing with my .45ACP several years back. I also admit that I used a solid metal rod and pushed it back out. I wrapped the rod several times with duct tape to try to protect the rifling, and brought in the hammer.... It ended well, but I was very nervous about the barrel until I shot it a few times and it was as accurate as ever.

JeffVN

5. noel carlson

WL,

It crossed my mind that keeping the details off the board might be more dangerous than posting them. (... especially following the video request :D)

A general disclaimer;

Do not do this if it does not make you nervous... confined explosives should scare you. If they do not, then Darwinistic principles can come into play, along with the attendant removal of your genetic contribution from the human genotype.

First- Using a 38 Special shell as a measuring device, pour one (1) measure of triple-x black powder down the bore while standing the rifle vertically. An exact weight is not critical, as this is not a precision operation.

Second- Prepare a 30" steel rod, which approximates the bore caliber, by deburring. Run it down the bore with a cotton patch leading. Gently tamp the charge.

Third- Go to a secluded area. Place the rifle, with bolt removed and rod inserted against charge, horizontally between two 100 lb sand bags (can be purchased from any building supply store). Point both the muzzle, and breach, in directions which will not endanger life, or property.

Fourth- A candle will work, but if you are impatient, use a proped, and supported propane tourch to heat the barrel exterior at the location of the powder charge. The removal process will still take about five minutes, so do not return to the rifle to make adjustments once the procedure has been initiated. There will be two, poorly aimed, potentially lethal, projectiles in flight when the powder lights-off. Place yourself behind cover which is adequate to protect you from either should they come your way.

Since your bullet is not far into the rifling, this is more than enough exposive power to remove it... In fact, it is more than needed to extract a 5" lead lap.

Enjoy,
    Noel

6. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Cool! Let us know how this works if you still have your typing fingers.

7. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

Wow! This video is going to be great!!

8. noel carlson

P.S. ;

Sand bags are a substitute for "typing fingers". The idea is to keep yourself as far away from the whole process as reasonable safety considerations would demand.

The rod will exit at a velocity sufficient to lodge firmly into a tree trunk.

9. JEREMY logan

JEREMY logan Guest

Noel carlson thats the best post i've seen yet!!!! Only one thing you should have posted it in the humor forum section first :D:D OH ONE QUESTION TELL US HOW AND WHEN YOU COME UP WITH THAT ONE.. :)

10. BigDaddy0381

BigDaddy0381 Well-Known Member

I see this problem monthly, but mostly in muzzle loader and 22LR (people need to pay a little more attention to what they are doing ). The best way is to take a brass rod and grind threads in the end and slowly and being very easy take the rod and thread it into the bullet just a little and pull the little parts of the bullet out the muzzle end. It takes awhile but work really well with out harming the rifle. Then after the bullet is out clean the barrle realy well and I usually hand lapp a little to smooth anything out that might have got nicked.I did a post on this on another site. If I can find it I will PM you the link.

11. noel carlson

BD,

Unless there is some reason the breach plug must remain in place, the prior described method is much faster, and DOES NOT damage the barrel in the least (no need for follow-up lapping... and it really breaks the monotony of fixing this particular screw-up.:))

12. BigDaddy0381

BigDaddy0381 Well-Known Member

98.5% of the time there is powder and the bullet in the muzzle loader and the owners think they can put oil in it to release it but it makes it not very easy to get out when the powder turns to mush. alot of them are the older loaders also with out the breach plugs. my last onw was a 22lr that had 4 bullets stuck about half way up the barrel.That was a PIA to get out. I'm still trying to think how someone can shoot and not see it hit and shoot again another 3 times.

13. noel carlson

BD,

Possibly the guy behind the 22lr trigger is accustomed to not seeing evidence of bullet transit on his target.

14. griff264

griff264 Member

fill barrel full of engine oil to just short of muzzle, then using a brass rod of a close diameter of the bore,tap the rod and the hydraulic pressure will remove the bullet safely.
    regards
    griff