Bullet help

destroyer

I need some help on deciding what bullet to use. I'm shooting the 180 accubonds right now and looking at the 180 and 200 ballistic tips and the 179 Amax. My problem is the deer are so little that I hunt 100 pounds (Coues whitetail ) the accubonds are jut passing through before they really get time to mushroom. I want a bullet that expands much faster. I'm shooting a 300 win mag most shots will be between 350 and 450 yards. But I shot my deer at 726 yards last year so there Is a good chance for some long range shots. I've been searching the forums here and it seems most people seem to get more accuracy out of the BT than Amax. I was wondering if I jumped up to the 200 grain BT would that slow the bullet too much to get good expansion. How much more would the 200 grain cut through the wind over the 180 grain. It seems most of the misses are because of windage than elevation. Were only allowed to shoot 1 deer a year here so it might take a couple years to figure it out through trial and error. Any help would greatly be appreciated

Have you ever considered the Hornady 165 gr SST or 180 gr SST? THey have a relatively thin jacket compared to either the Ballistic Tip or Accubond and will expand much quicker on these light deer.

The 180 SST will have a BC higher then a 180 gr Accubond or Ballistic Tip.

At the range you are shooting, I would say the windage difference between the 180 and 200 gr pills will not be worth considering.

For light game I would look at the 180 gr SST to get the most ballistically but with rapid expansion as well.

The 165 gr versions would not be a bad choice either for these ranges and this size game.

Only condition is what shoots best in your rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby Those bullets did not shoot real well in my other 300. I guess I wrote them off for this one. I'll buy a box and try them.

Scirocco. Controled expansion that's rapid at high velocity, lower as the bullet slows down.... say at 726y(!?)Better ballistics than the Ballistic Tip. Under 1000y I'd probably go with the 165s or 150s.
My .02 anyway.
Coyoter

The 178 a max or 180 ballistic tip will both open up and dump lots of energy on target. I have shot several thousand rounds of the 178 amax and 70 grains of IMR4350 (300 win mag). I shot the 180 sst two years for whitetails and thought they had more controlled expansion than the a max (much less damage to coyotes than the a max at same fps). And you have my sympathy about the 1 tag. Here after the draw you can buy as many tags as you want!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.