Bullet group size calculator?

I also use Ballistic-X. I think it is very accurate as long as the reference lines on your target are exact. It also lets you add load data and stores it for you. All in all a good way to invest $8. Compared to what I have spent at Midway since this "shelter in place" (read reload in place) started it was a drop in the bucket.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-11 20:53:22.114186.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-11 20:53:22.114186.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 120
I used a caliper set up when scoring for NBSRA. Shooting for group we had a caliper mounted on a sliding base with a magnifying glass that had rings for the different calibers. The first thing you had to do was find the largest spread, which is not as easy as it sounds, on a five shot group.

We use a micrometer with Neil Jones attachments. I have measured benchrest targets for the past 10 years. The attachment has circles etched into the plastic with a magnifier for precise centering over a bullet hole, push a lock that holds one side of the mic, then slide the other side of the mic over to outer bullet in the group and read the micrometer. Normally the circles are 22,6mm, and 30 cal. Your eye can very accurately center a ring over a bullet hole so the measurement is amazingly accurate and consistent.

Thanks,
That is what I though but did not know for sure. When the difference in winning or loosing may be a few thousandths, accurate measurements are very important. and close only counts in horseshoes and Hand grenades.

Sometimes a slight change in group size can really help when selecting components.so a accurate measurement can make a difference in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks,
That is what I though but did not know for sure. When the difference in winning or loosing may be a few thousandths, accurate measurements are very important. and close only counts in horseshoes and Hand grenades.

Sometimes a slight change in group size can really help when selecting components.so a accurate measurement can make a difference in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Boy you got that right. If your five shot group (@100 yards) is greater that 0.10, you are normally "out of the money". One of my friends set a record with 0.068. And if you send something in for a record you had better be right. If we have what we think is a new record, we have the scorer (me the blind old coot) and three others check it before it goes to national. Mess up once and they won't trust you again. So good quality tools are essential.
Also if you want to challenge the scoring, you can. Then we will used different qualified people to re-score. I was known to be a tough scorer and would not give you an extra 0.001. But my shooters knew that and were happy about my "toughness".

I need help with the name of a product: a couple of years ago I saw examples online of a camera/bluetooth/software combo that allowed a shooter to electronically calculate group size of a series of shots on a target. Can anyone tell me the name of the setup, and where it is available?

If you want something more indepth, this is pc software that can be used to create loads for all of your bullets. One of the features it has is this group size calculator. I believe you can use it to tie information to specific loads along with notes and things. It is a really cool app that is just like QuickLoad but free and it is incredibly well done. It is called Gordons Reloading Tools. I've even had a couple questions that I sent to the creator and got responses within a day. Doesn't get much better than that in my book.

Windows or Linux versions available

If you want something more indepth, this is pc software that can be used to create loads for all of your bullets. One of the features it has is this group size calculator. I believe you can use it to tie information to specific loads along with notes and things. It is a really cool app that is just like QuickLoad but free and it is incredibly well done. It is called Gordons Reloading Tools. I've even had a couple questions that I sent to the creator and got responses within a day. Doesn't get much better than that in my book.

Windows or Linux versions available
Thanks for the info.

K
I've seen some guys at the range that could just about use a yardstick....
Mike

One time a friend of mine got a T/C 14" .30-30 and a box of shells. After he fired 17 from the bench without hitting the 2'X4' target board. I was used to a .454 so asked if he wanted to see if it was him or the gun. He discovered he was the problem.

A yard stick wouldn't work!

"Rich Coyle, post:
One time a friend of mine got a T/C 14" .30-30 and a box of shells. After he fired 17 from the bench without hitting the 2'X4' target board. I was used to a .454 so asked if he wanted to see if it was him or the gun. He discovered he was the problem.

Rich: did you give him any tips on his shooting technique?

K

I have had my days when the "CHS' syndrome was happening. The 'byllseye' seem to be off limits to my bullet - but at least I could see where I was missing.
"The Quigley targets aren't hard to hit, they're just easy to miss" (quote from a shirt I picked up at last years match)

"Rich Coyle, post:

Rich: did you give him any tips on his shooting technique?

I asked him, "Do you mind if I fire the last three? That way you will know if it is you or the gun?" He liked the idea.

I checked the bore in relation to the scope, which was fine. I fired the last three into 15/16" at 3" from the X. I suggested he let me load some light loads for him until he got used to his new toy. He agreed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.