Bullet "frangibility"

sscoyote

Any ideas what would be the rating for .22 cal. VLD bullet "frangibility" from best to worst between say "the big 3", Lapua, JLK, and any others out there?

ss,

Ive only gotten a chance to shoot critters with smk and amax, i had to look very hard to find the holes on the chucks hit with smk, the amax produced about siver dollar sized holes, they dont even compare to nosler bts.
Good shootin
Brian

SMK's have a very thick jacket. According to their ballistics guys, they are likely to bore through a groundhog like a drill bit.
I have had good luck with the 75gr A-Max at high speed, and rarely get pass throughs that are more than frags. The JLK's are said to be accurate and frangible. However, they were not the best shooters in my rifle so I went back to the A-Max's. They are worth a try though.

VH

OK, guys here's the deal. Shot a coyote yesterday @ 365 with the 75 A-Max @ 2950mv, which equates to 2300 fps, and about 865 ft lbs @ at impact. He was sitting facing me on his haunches, and I know he was hit solidly, as he went down hard with tail spinning. I watched him until the tail quit spinning, and i figured it was over. A minute later the dog got back up and left on all fours. ????? Any ideas as to what happened? I'm thinking the bullet went through one lung, and exited, but the energy at impact was enuf to put him down, probably with one collapsed lung, until he got his wits about him again, and left. I've also had a couple of unexplained losses with the JLK's too-- specifically the 70 @ 3100 mv. All this out of an AR-15 .223AI.

Without finding that yote you'll never really know what happened on impact.
I've shot groundhogs @ 500+ yards with the 75gr A-Max (muzzle vel 3,668)and they never move after impact. On some hits I could see the dusty hillside behind the hog kick up a little. An inspection of the hog revealed that fur had been blown right off the far side by penetrating bullet fragments. Never had a bullet penetrate as a whole. Death was always instant but hogs were not blown to bits like P-dogs hit by a 22-250.
smile.gif

The lower impact velocity from your .223 may cause the terminal performance to be quite different. Don't know.
confused.gif
I would have expected your yote to be planted for good.

VH

VH-- i'm trying to reach 500 yds. with this thing using the 75 A-Max. At that range i'll have 2100 fps/730 lbs. on impact, but i'm starting to wonder??? I shot one yesterday at 250 with a nice 2" exit wound (thru the shoulder)-- but i'm starting to question 500 yd. capability from a .223 AI case.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts