bullet for a 7mm rum w/30" barrel

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by forknhorn, Jan 14, 2004.

1. forknhorn

forknhorn Member

new member here, been a member of shooters forum for a while but they tend to frown on long range shooting. a member over there told me about this forum, said you could help me out. i'm going to put a 30" douglas fluted blued barrel on my 700 bdl in 7mm rum. right now with a 26" barrel i'm loading 140gr silver ballistic tip and 140gr barnes coated, both with 93.5grs of h1000. i need yor input for a long range hpbt and/or poly tip bullet for deer,pig and small bear. thanks for any info. [​IMG]

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I have had very good accuracy with the new Nosler 160gr Accubond in my 7STW. Actually, it also shoots great in my 7mm-08. Considering the velocity potential in your 7RUM, a heavy, bonded core bullet would be a good starting place for finding the perfect hunting bullet. (If there is such a thing)
    Many other guys have also spoke of good results with the 160gr Accubond bullet in the large capacity 7mm's.
    VH

Forgot to mention - If any of these guys try to tell you that you should use the SMK, remind them that its NOT a hunting bullet.
    [​IMG]

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

3. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry guys - I just couldn't resist.

VH

4. speedbump

speedbump Well-Known Member

I shoot a Cauterucio 176gr VLD from a 7mmRUM. It has a 30" Krieger 1:9" twist. Chronoed velocities are @3,360 with the 176. Len Backus should chime in - he took a nice mulie with a 156 Cauterucio recently....

Oh, Lennnnnnnnn, where are youuuuuu??????????

5. forknhorn

forknhorn Member

first off i don't know alot about bullet sellection and purposes. but they told me in the other forum that match grade bullets like the vld, smk and a-max are not hunting bullets. if they work, great, tell me they work. i just want the flattest, most terminal bullet i can shoot. if you got 3300+ out of cauterucio 176gr what would i get out of the 156gr, and what rate of twist should i look at. thanks for your replies. [​IMG]