bullet for a 7mm rum w/30" barrel

forknhorn

new member here, been a member of shooters forum for a while but they tend to frown on long range shooting. a member over there told me about this forum, said you could help me out. i'm going to put a 30" douglas fluted blued barrel on my 700 bdl in 7mm rum. right now with a 26" barrel i'm loading 140gr silver ballistic tip and 140gr barnes coated, both with 93.5grs of h1000. i need yor input for a long range hpbt and/or poly tip bullet for deer,pig and small bear. thanks for any info.
grin.gif

I have had very good accuracy with the new Nosler 160gr Accubond in my 7STW. Actually, it also shoots great in my 7mm-08. Considering the velocity potential in your 7RUM, a heavy, bonded core bullet would be a good starting place for finding the perfect hunting bullet. (If there is such a thing)
Many other guys have also spoke of good results with the 160gr Accubond bullet in the large capacity 7mm's.
VH

Forgot to mention - If any of these guys try to tell you that you should use the SMK, remind them that its NOT a hunting bullet.
wink.gif

[ 01-14-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

I shoot a Cauterucio 176gr VLD from a 7mmRUM. It has a 30" Krieger 1:9" twist. Chronoed velocities are @3,360 with the 176. Len Backus should chime in - he took a nice mulie with a 156 Cauterucio recently....

Oh, Lennnnnnnnn, where are youuuuuu??????????

first off i don't know alot about bullet sellection and purposes. but they told me in the other forum that match grade bullets like the vld, smk and a-max are not hunting bullets. if they work, great, tell me they work. i just want the flattest, most terminal bullet i can shoot. if you got 3300+ out of cauterucio 176gr what would i get out of the 156gr, and what rate of twist should i look at. thanks for your replies.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.