bullet for 1:10" .243

petenz

Like the title says - are there any high BC bullets that will stabilise in a 1:10" ,243?

Or am I stuck with the 87gr Vmax and .400 ?

Don't need to be big game bullets

Just guessing but i'd say chances are you're stuck w/ the stinking 87gr v-max -have you tried the 95gr nbt?

Each gun is unique in it's twist and the only way to find out what will stabilize it is to shoot some of those weights. My 1/12 twist .308 likes 165-180 g. weights but doesn't shoot 150 and 155's all that great (over 1 moa). Other guys with the same twist can do 150's great, but can't stabilize the 180's.

My 6mm-284 with a 26" 10 twist shaw barrel will shoot 85 gr Sierra Game kings well. But it will not stabilize 105 bergers or 100 gr partitions. Even when I push them hard. I found the 85 gr GameKing to be a pretty good all around bullet for small to medium size game.

Jeff

I asked around and found that a 1:8 twist is the best for stabilizing 105 g. and will also stabilize the 87 g. This was an all around concensus I got and can still be unique to each firearm.

I have a CZ 550 in 1/10 twist and I tried many different powders (Varget, IMR 4350, IMR 4064, RL-15) to try and get 100gr Core-Lokts to stabilize. I could not get them to stabilize for the life of me. I've been relegated to the 87gr VMAX and I don't trust them for use on deer. Therefore, I see this gun as my varmint rifle.

I shoot the 95 grain Nosler BT in my Sako for deer using AA3100 powder and have excellent accuracy and velocity.

The 85 grain Sierra GK shot very well and performed well in a Model 70 (no longer own) for deer using IMR 4350.

Each rifle is different and some will stabilize and some won't when you get in the 95 grain and higher bullets.
Hurry up and shoot that barrel out and get 'yer self a 1-9 in 243AI and shoot them 105 A-max.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.