bullet expansion test results

Ah, us boys and our toys!? Very cool, and I predict you will be a busy man with your "experimenting" for quite some time as its just plain fun! Any 30 cal 181 Hammer's in the test lineup yet??

What media were you using? I have had very little luck getting them to open at that velocity with water, moist clay, etc. .......Rich

No media. All game kills....between my own and those taken by my hunting buddies, a few dozen deer and antelope over a seven year period. Closest was 50 yards, furthest 1188 yards. Most between 400 and 700 yards. My go to bullets are the 140 Berger HVLD, and JLK VLD. Both perform very similar on game.

No media. All game kills....between my own and those taken by my hunting buddies, a few dozen deer and antelope over a seven year period. Closest was 50 yards, furthest 1188 yards. Most between 400 and 700 yards. My go to bullets are the 140 Berger HVLD, and JLK VLD. Both perform very similar on game.

Thank you! There sure is a lot of varying info on the Bergers. I penciled through an elk at 1004 a few years back with a mv of 3150' out of my Sherman........Rich

Thank you! There sure is a lot of varying info on the Bergers. I penciled through an elk at 1004 a few years back with a mv of 3150' out of my Sherman........Rich

I agree. With all the good reviews on the 210 HVLD's and the 215's in the 300WM, I have had penciling with them on a half dozen mule deer and antelope.

I agree. With all the good reviews on the 210 HVLD's and the 215's in the 300WM, I have had penciling with them on a half dozen mule deer and antelope.

I do think the 215's are better than the 210's because of the large hollow cavity
Whenever I use most of the HP bullets anymore, I clean up the tip with a .040" drill bit.......Rich

The more I pay attention to making sure that the little tip on the hollow point is open the more I find how easy it is for it to be clogged, bent, closed, etc. , which could be the source of a "failure".
I have noticed some changes in some bullet manufacturers recommended twist rates lately, most requiring faster than previously indicated.
On another note, I was really surprised by the SMK result. I have found them to be the most unpredictable bullet, pencil exit, seemingly making a right turn inside a cow without hitting any bone.....but accurate non the less.
Carry on....

I think Yorke is pretty low in elevation. I just ran the numbers at 1000' and it shows 1.44 stability. There is some snow in his pics so not sure what the temp was, but temp makes a big diff in stability.

I'm thinking a combo of things. Slightly marginal on stability and no fluid for the hp to get going. I know in our testing slightly marginal stability can make the difference in working or not.

Steve

I tend to agree that the 140s weren't adequately stabilized and that's likely the case with the heavy 338s as well. My last test was done at about 36* and 1400' elevation , so that doesn't help me any. I've also grown to question the how well the polygonal rifling used in the barrel on my 6.5 Grendel stabilizes heavier bullets. We tested the 6.5x338 RUM improved with the 160 Matrix bullets out of a poly rifled barrel and compared them to a more conventional cut rifled barrel and the bullets wouldn't stabilize in the poly rifled barrel, even from a 1-8" twist at 3300 fps. I'm planning on throwing a scope on my 6.5x47 Lapua and using that for the rest of the 6.5mm testing.

Ah, us boys and our toys!? Very cool, and I predict you will be a busy man with your "experimenting" for quite some time as its just plain fun! Any 30 cal 181 Hammer's in the test lineup yet??

Those are on my list of bullets to try in the 300 Win Mag. I was actually going to switch over to those to replace the 200gr Accubonds that I've been using as my go to hunting bullet for the 300 Win Mag.

Hey Yorke, I also have a 6.5 Grendel, and I know they're not technically "hunting" bullets, but I cannot escape the curiosity of knowing... Could you test the Nosler 123 Custom Comps (designed originally specifically for the 6.5 Grendel) and the Berger 130 AR Hybrids out of your 6.5 Grendel in your media tests?

Tagging in for the 147 eld-m. I have a killer load in my 260 AI. To be at 1800 fps I would be right at 1300 yards, 2000 fps would be around 1075 yards, 700 yards puts me at about 2375 fps.

Those are on my list of bullets to try in the 300 Win Mag. I was actually going to switch over to those to replace the 200gr Accubonds that I've been using as my go to hunting bullet for the 300 Win Mag.

Speaking of the 181 Hammers, im planning a hunt for next April that the testing you plan to do will help me in making a decision on what bullet to use, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good to know and see how well those Accubonds continue to do, they have been my favorite Elk medicine out of my 300Win since their debut.

Hey Yorke, I also have a 6.5 Grendel, and I know they're not technically "hunting" bullets, but I cannot escape the curiosity of knowing... Could you test the Nosler 123 Custom Comps (designed originally specifically for the 6.5 Grendel) and the Berger 130 AR Hybrids out of your 6.5 Grendel in your media tests?

I have some of the 130 AR Hybrids on hand and I'll see if I can track down some of the 123 Noslers

Speaking of the 181 Hammers, im planning a hunt for next April that the testing you plan to do will help me in making a decision on what bullet to use, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good to know and see how well those Accubonds continue to do, they have been my favorite Elk medicine out of my 300Win since their debut.

I just ordered some of the 181 hammers today along with the 88gr 6mm Hammer Hunters to test in my 6mm BR pistol.

Tagging in for the 147 eld-m. I have a killer load in my 260 AI. To be at 1800 fps I would be right at 1300 yards, 2000 fps would be around 1075 yards, 700 yards puts me at about 2375 fps.

I can probably do that. I'll get a scope mounted on the 6.5x47 Lapua and see about what velocities I end up with.

I have some of the 130 AR Hybrids on hand and I'll see if I can track down some of the 123 Noslers

I just ordered some of the 181 hammers today along with the 88gr 6mm Hammer Hunters to test in my 6mm BR pistol.

I can probably do that. I'll get a scope mounted on the 6.5x47 Lapua and see about what velocities I end up with.

You can test my ELDM's at that velocity if you want.

Cool, yeah, I only have the 1 box of 130 AR Hybrids, just because I was going to test them in my rifle for accuracy and velocities. But then I found 1,000 rd boxes of the Nosler 123 Custom Comps for like $160 each, and they only had 2 left, so I figured what the hell...And bought both. Which is why I'm curious how they expand, since they're just lead cup & core JHP bullets like a Berger. So I'm curious to see if they will actually work like a Berger on coyotes and white tail deer and small-to-medium sized game like that.

They're also pretty cheap...

Nosler Custom Competition Bullets 264 Cal 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 123

I have some of the 140 Hunting VLDs on hand. I'll load some up in the 6.5 Grendel and give it a go. The relatively low muzzle velocity should make duplicating a 2000 fps impact velocity pretty easy without having to shoot at long range.

If anyone has a few of the Hornady bullets that they can spare, it would help out with the testing; I'd only need 5 of each. I'll go broke if I buy a whole box of each style of bullet to test!:D
York I'd send you some ELD-X's and some Peregrine VRG4's and their new, experimental VLR's that are still in testing if you wanted to try them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.