bullet drop compensating reticles worth it?

mmiedema

Hello all. First, thanks to those who gave me their input for my search of a good hunting scope on my previous post. Now my question is whether or not to get a bullet drop reticle or not. I have looked at the boone and crockett but I know that burris and other makers have their own version. Do they work or it more hassle than it is worth for making shots out to 500 yards? I have a sako 300wsm finnlight and I'm trying to keep it a light rig for hiking the mountains this fall so I don't want all the big tactical knobs and added weight. Also I have noticed that alot of scopes don't have adjustable objectives anymore. Is it worth looking for a scope that still has it or isn't the parellax that big of an issue? If anyone has used a good scope with a good reticle please fill me in as I want this gun to be a real tack driver. Thanks

I have a Tikka T3 in 300wsm. I used it last August in Raton NM to take a trophy antelope @ 452 yards. I am using a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50mm scope with the B&C reticle. I put the 450 yard hash mark behind his shoulder and he dropped at the shot. Now, understand your hash marks aren't going to correspond eaxactly. Maybe a few inches high or low. Practice at my range is what gave me the confidence to make the shot. Are they worth it? Yes, if your willing to take the time w/ it to see where each hash mark corresponds at each range with your selected load. Adjustable objective scopes are still being made. Most, like the above mentioned Leupold have the parralax adjustment knob on the left side of the scope opposite your windage knob.

BD reticles can be very useful IF you are willing to either adjust your load to match or learn where each mark actually hits. The odds of it bang on is slim.

For me, the big issue is determining the range. For that, I use a Leica rangefinder. Once you know the exact range, you can dial up or use your reticle. Either way will work.

The best part about a target or tactical knob is you can hold dead on. With a reticle you will have to adjust high or low depending on where the range is relative to your scope hash marks. I don't like that so stick to dialing up.

As to the AO, that will only be needed if magnification is over 10X. For most hunting, I keep my scope at 6X and leave it there unless I have the time to adjust.

I am about to pick up a Nikon Buckmaster SF 4X14 - 40. This is a new scope, fully multicoated with side focus and mil dots.

Have been having lots of success with Nikon products recently and am curious about these new products. The side focus would be more convenient then dialing the front.

Will post results when I get the scope tested. comes with a target style knob too...I think.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.