bullet depth

wvcountryboy

I am sure you guys are getting sick of this 6mm ai subject but I'm about done i think. I found a real good deal on a remington varminter chambered in 243. I would like to buy it and put on a custom barrel chambered in 6mm ai. I ordered some brass and loaded a dummy to have a reamer made off of. I know the ackley case has no saami coal specs, but at the maximum length for the standard case, the bullet is RIGHT at the end of the magazine. It sure does look deep too. If my riflings move out ANY i either wouldnt be able to touch or couldnt use the magazine. I know a savage is longer, but I really like the 700. They are like a small block chevy, parts are cheap and every where and you can get about anything you want.

My question to somebody that has one, what is your coal when you are touching the riflings. Can you still use the magazine? Is there any disadvantage to having the bullet so deep other than it just doesnt look good. It does help that the 6mm has such a long neck. I really dont want to use a long action if i can keep from it.

I am sure you guys are getting sick of this 6mm ai subject but I'm about done i think. I found a real good deal on a remington varminter chambered in 243. I would like to buy it and put on a custom barrel chambered in 6mm ai. I ordered some brass and loaded a dummy to have a reamer made off of. I know the ackley case has no saami coal specs, but at the maximum length for the standard case, the bullet is RIGHT at the end of the magazine. It sure does look deep too. If my riflings move out ANY i either wouldnt be able to touch or couldnt use the magazine. I know a savage is longer, but I really like the 700. They are like a small block chevy, parts are cheap and every where and you can get about anything you want.

My question to somebody that has one, what is your coal when you are touching the riflings. Can you still use the magazine? Is there any disadvantage to having the bullet so deep other than it just doesnt look good. It does help that the 6mm has such a long neck. I really dont want to use a long action if i can keep from it.

that's the problem with magazine rifles. Your limited to the magazine length, and then if it's a 700 short action you got problem number two. The 700 short action is really a little too short. You won't notice it with shorter bullets, but you will with longer bullets because you gotta seat them past the case neck. You could always install a Davidson ramp, and use it as a single shot rifle. Then your problems are over with.
gary

Long range lapua is my brother in law. He was logged in on my computer and I accidently posted with his name. Thats what the last one is about.

Anyhow,
My 338 ultra mag has a davidson ramp in my 700 long action. I'd like to have a magazine in this build. I guess I will just set the dummy deep when I have the reamer made.

There are aftermarket magazines available to lengthen the stock box in the long action 700's but not sure about the short action. The disadvantage to seating bullets deep into the case is primarily loss of case capacity. Depending on how deeply you have to seat them, it is possible that the A.I. could end up having no more velocity than the Std. 6mm loaded to the same pressure........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts