Bullet and Gun tax

Trent

Just read an article about a proposed bullet tax of $.05 a bullet and $25 a gun for everyone sold in the county Chicago lies in. This is being proposed to supposably help address gun violence from gangbangers and also raise some money of which some with pay for medical bills of the ones that get shot. This, like most other gun laws only end up hurting law abiding citizens and business' like normal and will do nothing to the criminals except get some of their medical bills paid if they are shot. Always trying to focus on the guns instead of the CRIMINALS.

Official proposes bullet tax to curb Chicago crime)

Apparently Chicago doesn't believe Obamacare will cover gangbangers shooting each other. Here I thought Chicago was home to Rahm, and populated by true believers.

Life really does mimic art sometimes. For instance, more than a decade ago, comic Chris Rock suggested in a stand-up routine that if bullets were made too expensive, there would be much fewer shootings. Cook County, Illinois, seems to agree, which is why that region, which Chicago occupies, is proposing a bullet tax that would help defray the costs of crime.

So who is going to collect these taxes from the gang-bangers and street thugs? I know, Mayor Rahm will stand on a street corner on the southside of Chicago with a coffee can and ask for donations.

Don't look now people but all this is going to get worse. They can't take our guns so they are going to try and make it so expensive that we will give up. These stupid laws that are being introduced are going to be introduced across the country. As soon as one state comes up with laws and taxes like this others are going to follow. Just my opinion--jim

While we're on the topic of taxes......there is an internet sales tax making its way through Congress. Congress never saw a tax they didn't like. This could impact Len's internet sales operation. What will they think of next? Don't ask.

While we're on the topic of taxes......there is an internet sales tax making its way through Congress. Congress never saw a tax they didn't like. This could impact Len's internet sales operation. What will they think of next? Don't ask.

Len isn't the only one with an Internet business on here. I have one as well, just not in this venue, so it's never mentioned on this site....

Actually, Len and myself will be immune to collection of sales tax. You have do do a million or better in gross sales, then you become liable to collect the sales tax on interstate customers. So the trick is, if you will, do stay under a million in gross sales. No issue for me and I don't think Len will have an issue either.

The bill is aimed squarely at online retailers like Amazon and Flea Bay and is being lobbied and bankrolled by retailers who say that Internet sales is unfair.

Typical Washingtom back room politics at it's best.

Nothing new and everything old. Same old crap sponsored by the same old group of Democrats and conveniently greased by corporate America.

Thanks for the explanation. This could be a game changer for Cabelas and Bass Pro.
BTW Both Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas charge sales tax to internet customers in states where they have retail outlets.

Candidly, I have 2 Cabelas Black cards, one for the business and a personal one and the only things I get at Cabelas is on redemption points.

Cabelas is way overpriced on most things in my view. I don't ascribe to the 'Cabelas Experience', even though the local store is but a couple miles away. I don't care to go there, unless it's to get something on points and I've picked up guns on more than one ocassion.

If it passes (I don't think it will pass the house), you'll see al the major players charging sales tax and it will be a nightmare bookeeping wise, plus you'll see all of them increase prices to cover the addittional employees.

IMO, it's a lame excuse for a tax increase on the middle class...you and me.

Politicians are extremely short sighted, especially when getting well greased by corporate America, in this case, the big box stores and chains like Lowes, Home Depot, JC Penny and Sears Grabbuck and more.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.