bullet advice needed for my new ramrod loaded thunder stick

I killed a nice Manitoba bear last week with a 250 Bonded ShockWave. Killed a very big old Nilgai in April with the same bullet, one shot with a Pro Hunter. Shockwaves and Encores/Pro Hunters go together very well. We just fired 243 shots in one day through my Pro Hunter, got some amazing groups out at 250 yards. I really like Triple Seven pellets, also use a lot of Pyrodex pellets.

You should consider getting the new Flex Tech stock for your Encore sometime - they are amazing. We just shot two 100-shot tests (3 pellets and a 240 grain XTP saboted bullet) with the Pro Hunter and the shooter did not even get a bruised shoulder. We also just shot two test in the Pro Hunter without any lube on a brand new breech plug or in the threads in the breech. 25 shots consecutive with 3 Pyrodex, then cleaned the threads and installed another brand new dry breech plug and shot 25 shots with 777. No problem removing the breech plugs with either propellant. Did that one with Shock Waves, had some groups under one inch for three shots. Best I have seen Shock Waves do was just under 0.5" at 100, have seen several groups that tight. I use Win. 209's, have the new Win. 777 209's and see no improvement, plan on staying with standard 209's.

I like the shockwave bullets as well, gotta love a poly tipped bullet!!

You might look into getting some Shockey's gold pellets. I have tried them and found them to be a little less corrosive over time, i am horrible about cleaning my smoke pole.

I have also used the Remington 209-410 primer. It is made for the 410 shotshells and i have heard it solves the issue of the pellets being pushed forward by the initial primer blast before true pellet ignition. I have heard some people complain about this with the win 209 primer.

I really cant tell you for sure if these new primers help for sure. I shoot a lot of MZ's but i dont like to paly with them too much since I HATE cleaning them so **** often!! I guess that makes me lazy but thats me.

I have noticed the Shocky's pellets offering a larger number of shots between cleaning and they allow you to get away with waiting a little while before cleaning the gun, but to be honest you should clean it very often no matter what powder, period!!

If you cant find the Shockey's pellets go for the triple seven or standard pyrodex, you wont be dissapointed

good luck
steve

What sabots are you using Ian? I have a new Omega and the Hornady SST sabots will not go down the barrel after one shot. Have to hammer it down. I am not impressed at all. My savage 10ML is a dream compared to the omega. I bought those new Harvester sabots with the ribs so I will see if they are better.

I shoot T/C bullets and sabots in my T/C's, Knight bullets in my Knights etc. Has always worked for me. You have to swab between shots, maybe that is your problem?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.