Bull Moose successful Hunt

derek gustilo

I have waited for 7 Years to get drawn in my zone in Alberta , Canada and my Dad came up to join me in my Hun from Saskatchewan. Went out the opening morning to my area I have been Scouting for the last 4 yrs. Me and Pops went out to the area that we figured would be the best chance of getting one and the second field we came to we seen 3 bulls. 2 small 3 yr old bulls and the one i decided to take. It was a tad bit bigger than 51" on the tape and I took him with my new Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua. I scoped it and placed a one shot kill @ 300 yrds. The new hybrid bergers (300gr) worked awesome. Small entance hole and definetely hit it with some energy cause the whole side I hit him on was bruised( which i have not seen before ) and i have shot alot of stuff with my old lapua shooting combined technologies (230 gr).

Cant say enough about the company for the hunt ( my Dad ) and the way my equipment performed. I guess with the right stuff and enough pre-hunt planning any unt can be successful
Thanks

Attachments

• pics 019.jpg
    pics 019.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 155
  • pics 020.jpg
    pics 020.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 136
  • pics 025.jpg
    pics 025.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 142
  • pics 029.jpg
    pics 029.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 137
Hey Derek, my first post and it gets to be with family:D. I know how hard you worked to get that Bull and I know that your dad was really excited to be there with you. Congrats on your trophy.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks for the replies me and dad were really pleased
And yes I cannot wait to go with my son and sees his first
Trophy he is just 3 yrs old, but hr comes with me mist days but was with
Grandma this day lol. The bullet performance was perfect small entrance hole
That hit the heart and blew ur in half then a 2 " exit hole. Bullet had lots of impact force
And dropped the big guy where he was standing, I was unsure in how the bullets would work
But I will keep with theses fir as long as I can, and that's awhile cause I've got over 500 rounds in stand by

Nice bull. Congrats. Thanks for sharing.
Good thing that big boy dropped by the road, made the work easier I guess.

I wish he dropped by the road, I had to drag him 500 yards to get to the road, it was brutal to drag and I have a 1000 cc quad. I just took the picture there after I went and got the truck trailer and quad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.