Bull elk hunt 2007. Let the planning begin!!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Michael Eichele, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Last nite at the anual Alaska bowhunter's association, I participated in the live auction for the Governor's elk permit for our Alaskan elk hotspot (Etolin Island) and won with the high bid. I will have 2 months (September and October) to harvest my bull and will be able to hunt with bow and rifle. I am planning to hunt the first half with my bow and after that I havent connected, the big guns come out. I dont believe there are any B&C size elk on Etolin Island but they have some pretty darn nice elk. This will also be one of the most grueling hunts of my life. The country is super steep. It is a rainforest enviornment. The vegetation is incredibly thick and nasty filled with devils club. If success does happen, it will be a horrible pack out to say the least. Alaskan bull elk are the largest bodied elk in the world and can reach 1350+ pounds. Knowing I am in for all this he!! I am still looking forward to this hunt. I have researched this hunt before and as an avid dall sheep hunter and elk fanatic, I am looking forward to this challenge. I cant wait!

2. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Sounds exciting, be sure to keep us all informed on it this fall! Good luck.

3. Michael Eichele

I will keep you informed. I have decided to bowhunt the last week of September and if no success, I will bring out the custom 300 RUM and end the frustration! I truly believe on this hunt, it wont be a matter of "if" I get my bull, rather it will be "when". I am gunning for any nice looking 300 class 6x6 or better. There are alot of 300 class bulls on this Island. Here is for hoping!

4. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

Congratulations! sounds like the kind of hunt that will occupy most of your thoughts between now and Sept. i hope you score late in the hunt. a lot more memories that way.

5. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

We truly are a deranged bunch. We will pay more money for the privilege of abusing ourselves more. Sounds like something I would have been up for a couple of back surgeries ago! I hope you kill a good'un meichele! I too am going to be consumed by thoughts of filling my bull tag with a 300RUM this fall in western Colorado.

Be sure to take lots of scenery pics for us in the lower 48 to drool over. Good luck man!

6. Michael Eichele

[ QUOTE ]
    We truly are a deranged bunch. We will pay more money for the privilege of abusing ourselves more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! My knees hurt for 9 months after a particularly tough sheep hunt one year. Since then I have discovered Ibuprophin!!

7. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Just remember to only shoot the ones where you have a downhill drag. Ibuprofen doesn't cure uphill carries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

elk hunting is one of my favorites. good luck . i hope you get a big one and take a lot of pictures. (from down in the desert. roninflag)