bull barrel on hunting rifle?

myrifleisLapua

Hey yall been gone awhile i was in a atv wreck. Rolled backwards down a mountain back in march.
i sold the lapua to. But now everything is back to normal. I want a big bore.
To be clear for 3yrs ive dreamed of a mark v (9lug) weatherby. Looking at a 460 or
... doing a 550! 55 cal not a cz m550 to be clear. Brass is 48$ per 20. Wby is 80$ for 460 brass last i priced. I know defiantly i want a accuracy innovations natural bamboo stock.if i buy a 460 wby its 2700$ ,900$ of that is the factory stock which is a waste if cash sense i will change it.i can get a fibermark for 1300$ and rebarrel and stock it. Also thinking about the 550 over the 460. I plan on casting my own bullets. I want to sling large chunks of lead hardcast.

Which here is my main question im thinking of a straight cylinder barrel 26-29" but how would a bull barrel look on a wood stock hunting rifle. Should help with recoil.

Kinda leaning to building a 460 the 550 is almost novelty?

What about the .510 Wells? (.460 wby necked to .510).

I think that bull barrels look good on wood rifles, providing the stock you choose has a wide enough forend to accomadate the barrel.

Well if i dont go for the 460 id like something over 50 cal hence the 55. Couldn't find a 577 that would fit in the wby. Plus 55 cal is odd and unique reminds me of the 55 boys rifle sorta

You wouldnt put a beautiful wood stock on it if you didnt care about looks haha . And of course any rifle must be accurate. I meant would a bull barrel make it look goofy? But from digging around for pictures . I think basically it would be like a wood stocked weatherby sendero so to speak. Ive been looking into penetration of the 460 to. Should have over 60" with solids on wet newspaper. Well should "have" . Probably go with a 26" pacnor 460 barrel straight cylinder. And a 8oz mercury recoil reducer. I think i can get it to about 13-15lbs. I think i could have this done by years end. Plan to start on it next month.

The mark v synthetic 30-378muscle is 1200$ so with a rebarrel it should be about a 2000$ investment right? About 500$ lower than buying the mark v already in 460. Besides i cant find the 460 deluxe in stock any where

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.