Building a Target Frame

At a gun show. I think the guy was around San Antoine . I have his card somewhere, I will look. Really easy to set up and sturdy.

It looks like it will work just fine, but bullet fragments splashing off of the plate will tear it up pretty good. My first target frame was cobbled together with 2x4 scrap.

Also, a word of caution: Copper jacket fragments are very sharp and like to embed themselves in the wood. Wear gloves when moving or breaking down your frame.

I used 5/8's rebar…and a half round piece of steel conduit to form a structure like a swing set frame..Hose clamps at the top hold the crossbar..then I hung the plate with rubber bungie cords.

Out shooting today! The plate is solid, no issues!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 71
I have a backstop made from 2 sheets 5x8 3/8" thick stood vertically with 5 feet of clay fill in front of them retained by a railroad tie wall. Between the clay and the steel, nothing gets through.

morning, I have and assortment of realtor sign frame holders. size 30" W 24" H.

I got some very heavy cardboard and cut to fit. I staple my paper plates with target

cross in the middle 4 targets to cardboard. take to range and drive in the ground

with hammer, sharp points on the bottom of the legs. at

whatever range. keep replacing tell the cardboard is worn out. Put in new cardboard.

when u get thru shooting pull frame out of the ground and take home. can get frames at home depot

just countrylightbulb

I've used the realtor signs before. They work well but don't hold up too well against errant shots.

I build my favorite target of the thick black pipe sold at Lowe's. I call it "schedule 40 pipe" and "150 PSI pipe" but it may have other names.

It's a bit late but my plan is to use an adjustable folding sawhorse from Home Depot for $30. :D

Crawford 38 in. Adjustable Folding Sawhorse-SH38A-16 - The Home Depot

That's exactly what I use. For target shooting I just use some spring clamps to clamp some cardboard against the front legs. For steel shooting I drilled some holes along the front lip to hang the chains from. I added some anchors to the feet for anchoring them when shooting steel (otherwise the momentum of the plate swinging after the impact would flip it backwards).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.