Building a No.1 in 7mm-08 Improved

Camshaft

I have not gotten much use out of my No.1 chambered in .270 win over the last few years, it doesn't shoot very well and the previous owner cut the barrel down to 16" so it isn't good for much beyond 150yds. I would like to rebuild to the following specs but need some input:

26" Kreiger #6 chambered for 7mm-08 Improved and throated for the 139gr Hornady GMX. Twist????

Trigger???

Scope will be a Nightforce NXS 2.5x10x32, Does anyone make a good mount for this rifle, i am not concerned with any slope as it will not be a long range gun.

Stock? the factory wood is nice but i prefer laminates as i hunt above 9500ft in the fall and winter usually. Does anyone make a stock for this application?

I have my semi-custom .300rum so i do not need this to be a long range rig, just a good gun for California deer and speed goats. I have to shoot lead free and the gmx is quite long, almost 1.4". This bullet works great in my dads 7mm Rem Mag so i will be using it for this application also. I would like to throat the barrel for this bullet to maximize case capacity. This will be my dedicated hunting rifle so i want to do it right, so please feel free to offer all comments and advice you see fit. Also, i have my mind set on this cartridge because it is small and efficient and I to keep it that way to make this No.1 as quick to reload as possible if need be.

How about the factory Ruger stocks on the stainless No. 1's ? The varmint model forearm would probably be a better fit for a #6 contour barrel.

I have several custom #1's and they all shoot well. I like the #1's. I put triggers on mine because I couldn't get the factory one down to where I wanted without creep in it. I think I got mine from midway. I agree with you on the cartridge. Sounds like a good one for what you want to do. The 7mm-08 Imp is a good deer-antelope cartridge that is easy and cheap to load for, easy on barrels and very accurate. Good luck with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.