Building a custom Rem 700????

treeslayer

I picked up a rem 700 dirt cheap. Would like to turn it into a long range elk gun. It is currently chambered in 30-06. The gun has some rusting on it so it needs some tlc anyway. Would love to have a 338 Lapua but that may be a little much for a 700? And shooting the lapuas are hard on the bank acount. What would be the top long range cartridges for this size action? What are your favorites and why? I'm new to long range shooting so just trying to get a feel for what is available before jumping into a build.

Thanks

I picked up a rem 700 dirt cheap. Would like to turn it into a long range elk gun. It is currently chambered in 30-06. The gun has some rusting on it so it needs some tlc anyway. Would love to have a 338 Lapua but that may be a little much for a 700? And shooting the lapuas are hard on the bank acount. What would be the top long range cartridges for this size action? What are your favorites and why? I'm new to long range shooting so just trying to get a feel for what is available before jumping into a build.

Thanks

I recomend any of the magnum bolt face cartridges. 338 Win Mag,340 Weatherby, 338 RUM. Etc.

The Lapua is a great round but the case head is to large for the Remington without some drastic
changes.

The 338 RUM will fit with the bolt face opened up, an a extractor installation.

Or simply buy a PT&G bolt with a magnum bolt face and an M16 style extractor. (Its not that
much more expensive by the time you have the Smithing done) to make the 30/06 bolt work.

The 338 Rum has slightly more case capacity than the Lapua and can match or beat it with the
same pressures.

There are other cartriges that are bigger but realy need a custom action or a Weatherby Mark 5
and both are expensive.

J E CUSTOM

Like J E said, Go with the 338 Ultra mag, it will do anything the lapua will do.
I went with the 338 Ultra mag and it shoots like a Laser. Put a Muscle brake on it and it will be fun to shoot.
Tarey

I would sell it and Just get a ultra mag action that will work in the first place.By the time you pay for the modifications you won't be saving any money.

I wouldn't even consider anything that needs to have the boltface opened up. Good used appropriately sized actions are extremely easy to find. One of the most common long range usages for that action is a 6.5 - 284 Norma Target ( appropriate throat length for your bullet choice).

So is the boltface of my 30-06 to small for a 338 RUM? I really don't know who is going to do the work at this time. Just trying to get some ideas and boy am I. Thank you all for the help. Now if I do go with the 338 RUM what wolud be a good barel?

So is the boltface of my 30-06 to small for a 338 RUM? I really don't know who is going to do the work at this time. Just trying to get some ideas and boy am I. Thank you all for the help. Now if I do go with the 338 RUM what wolud be a good barel?

The 30/06 has a bolt face diameter of .473 and the 338 RUM is .532 (the same as a 7mag,300
win mag,300 Weatherby,300 RUM,Etc.)

My favorite barrel maker is Lilja. but there are other good ones like the Krieger, hart and Shillen.
with a 1 in 10 twist rate.

J E CUSTOM

Treeslayer, I have never opened up a Remington face The ones I have opened have always had a mauser type claw extractor. Maybe some of the guys would know if your 700 06 to RUM conversion would also require a new and different extraction system or a new bolt. Another concern is that the 06 has a c.o.l. length of under 3.4" while the 338 Rum has a o.a.l. of 3.6". I am a Wild Cat enthusiest and have experienced lots of feeding problems when going from small diameter to large diameter cartridge cases. When I add up the money and possible money needed to correct forseeable problems, I have to say no. That 06 has a very good tradeing value, This is one time that long term cost of building will show up at the beginning of the horse race. A hint on barrel selection: I use a lot of known good take off barrels, most shops encounter a few new barrel replacements for no fault of the barrel. An example I recently purchased a new Hart barrel for 150 dollars, it proved itself as being not smooth enough for cast lead bullet competition, but is outstanding with jacketed bullets. There are lots of good ways to end up with an inexpensive top shooter but I don't feel that 06 to 338 Rum is one of them.

J E Custom is right (as always) on the bolt face dimensions.

In terms of barrels, my go-to are barrels for accuracy have cut rifling...Brux and Krieger. Alternatively, I am hearing great things about Broughton's 5C barrels (canted rifling)

@ J E Custom. So can my 06 be made into the 338 RUM. Sorry but as you can tell this is the first time doing something like this and I want to do it right. What I think your saying it can be done. But then someone said that its not a goos idea. So if you or anyone else help the new long rane guy:) out that would be great.

Thanks

@ J E Custom. So can my 06 be made into the 338 RUM. Sorry but as you can tell this is the first time doing something like this and I want to do it right. What I think your saying it can be done. But then someone said that its not a goos idea. So if you or anyone else help the new long rane guy:) out that would be great.

Thanks

Yes. You can transform you '06 into a 338RUM. The only modification you will need to make is to have the bolt face opened up. The bolt face on your '06 is .473" and it will need to be opened up to .532". In making this modification, it will remove the factory extractor and you will need to replace it with an M16 or Sako style extractor.

Alternatively, you could just buy yourself another bolt. You can find lots of cool custom bolts here: Welcome To Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc. -- Reamers, Gauges, Bushings, and more.

Thanks Trebark!

Ok that help me out alot. Now I hate to say this but what do you think would be cheaper to do, make the 06 bolt work or buy one at .523"? Then is there any thing I should to do that action? I do want a trusted gun and reach out and touch an elk or antelple. I have looked at the Douglas barrels. What is your thought on them?
Again Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.