Building a 7mm STW? need help

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by huntokanogan, Mar 22, 2011.

1. huntokanogan

huntokanogan Well-Known Member

I am looking for a 7mm STW rifle. They are not easy to find unless you want a $2000.00 (and up) custom rifle. I have seen a few in Savage rifles which i guess were made by savage for a couple of years.
    My question is this: How hard would it be to make one out of say...a 7mm rem. mag? or would another cartridge be a better starting point? (7mm WBY, 300 mag, 375 ?)
    It would seem to me that I would'nt have to re-barrel the gun if I started with a 7mm mag..but admittedly I am a newby at this. Has anyone built one before?
    Realisticly, what would it cost me beyond the price of the rifle?
    Any help I could get on this subject would be great.

2. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Active Member

3. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

You can rechamber the 7mm Remington Magnum to 7 STW. I would recommend a 26 in barrel to do this with. Still needs to be done by a good gunsmith.

4. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

There are about a dozen on gunbroker just type 7mm STW under rifles, ranging from 500 to 5000 dollars.

5. yamadog

yamadog Well-Known Member

i just got my 7mm stw last year build and got 4200 in bare gun broughton barrel, bat action , manner stock , williams bottem metal , bat scope rings , jewell tigger . think you could build one alot cheaper buy useing savage action or stiller action and a more basic stock

6. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Buy a Remington Sendero in 7 RM and have a good smith true up the action and rechamber it. You will need a Wyatt magbox for the longer VLD bullets,( it is worth it).
    You will have around $1500 in a great rifle.

7. noneck180

noneck180 Well-Known Member

I just got my used Sendero in the mail today in 7mm STW, one of the the original Senderos, suppose to shoot great.