Building a 338 RUM

If you go laminated I really like the LSS take off stocks but boyds makes good stuff too. I bought one of their stocks for a 6mm I put together and it was a nice stock. Maybe a nice HS Precision sporter stock if you want to cut down on weight.

JD338, you posted some of the best groups I've ever seen out of a big bore true hunting rifle on my first post. ( Loads wanted for a 30" barrel 338 RUM ) I am shooting your secret recipe in the morning. When you get your new one built, what are you doing with your current rifle?????

knc1105

The pictures I posted earlier are my 280 AI.

My stock M700 LSS 338 RUM shoots pretty good for a factory rifle.
700LSS338RUM.jpg

338RUM250grABa-1.jpg

338RUM250grAB412.jpg

338RUM250grPT.jpg

JD338

Alot more than 49 cents. I shot JD's secret recipe in my new 338 RUM and they shot great. I had a brake put on mine and it's really sweet, kicks like a 243. I can't figure out how to post a pic here or I would. If you're curious about a 50BMG style brake that is scaled down, and weighs only ounces, go to www.boys50bmgatr.com and scroll down towards the bottom and you can see some. I wish someone smarter than me would send me how to post a picture here. Thanks

I wish someone smarter than me would send me how to post a picture here. Thanks

Someone else will have to help you out with the smarter than you part, but I can help out on the picture!

This is a 3 Phase Operation; Phase 1 is LRH Forum Browser Setup, Phase 2 is Image Acquisition, and Phase 3 is Image Posting:)

LRH Forum Browser Setup
1. Log in to LRH
2. Scroll/Look to the upper right of your screen and click on "Private Messages"
3. Look to the center left of your screen and click on "Edit Options". It's under the "Settings and Options" dark brown block.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Miscellaneous Options" block.
5. Select "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWG Interface" from the drop down box.
6. Click on the "Save Changes" button just left and below the drop down box.

Phase II-Image Acquisition
This forum (as most) will not allow you to directly upload images from your computer to a posting. Instead it requires that it be posted elsewhere on the World Wide Web. Your post of your "picture" will actually be a link or "URL" of the picture as it's hosted by another website/server elsewhere on the web. Len's magic forum translates that link into an image.

The bad part #1...you'll need to register an account with either a pay service like smugmug or a free service like photobucket. After registration, you'll be able to upload your images, which will enable you to get a link or "URL" for them.

The bad part #2...Due to the varied processing of uploading pictures, this post won't be able to help you in that regard....so no step by step for that process. Just follow the guidance contained for the photo hosting service you sign up for to upload the pictures.

The good part..there are already a jazillion images on the web with URLs/links, so if there's a picture you see on the web you want to post , it's already "hosted" there for the posting.

Phase III-Image Posting
1. Open another internet browser window than your LRH window screen and browse to the image on the web you want to post.
2a. If using Firefox as a browser-Right click on the image, and left click on "Copy Image Location".
2b. If using Internet Explorer as a browser-Right click on the image, and left click on "Properties". Then using your left mouse button, highlight the URL/link and right click on the highlighted text, and left click on "Copy".
3. Now go back to your LRH window.
4. Start your new post, thread, quote as necessary.
5. Once your new post window screen is displayed click on the
insertimage.gif
button at the top of editor box. It will ask you for a URL/link.
6. Right click inside the text box, and left click on "Paste".
7. Click on the "Preview Post" bottom to the bottom right of the post text editor box you just posted the picture in to see what your picture looks like in your post.
8. Edit as necessary.
9. You just went from a picture posting zero to a picture posting hero!

There's a more comprehensive discussion on picture posting at the thread below.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f47/how-post-picture-25364/

Good luck!

Well I won't be posting any picures. I thought this would be easy like Family, Friends, Firearms website, but thanks for the info anyway.

The instuctions look like this is an ordeal, I understand that pictures take up alot of memory, but I work too much and shoot too little and don't want to invest that kind of time and trouble for a picture. The brake is not as pretty as a Muscle Brake, but my 338 RUM kicks less than a .243 bolt gun and I wanted ya'll to know. I posted a website above and you can scroll down to see some. I had them thread mine to the standard 5/8 X 24 just in case I wanted to change to something else years down the road. My works so well I don't think I'll ever change though. JD thanks for the recipe it is amazing, I tried some other loads and H-1000 but that load was the miracle SWEET SPOT everything shot under MOA but that load was a awsome little cluster. And that brake worked, I need to go back and count the brass but I probubly went thru right at 50 rds and had fun, I would not have done that without the brake ( 90lbs felt recoil X 50 rds =4,500 lbs of recoil for that session ).

Thats the removable brake for the 50BMG, scroll down to the 300 Rem. Ultra Mag and there are two pics there. I'll have to compare mine, mine looks a little smaller than the one pictured. Mine is the same thickness as a #5 profile barrel. I don't mind the tactical look, because it really works and it only weighs ounces. It really drew a crowd at the range. Mine is a black parkerized on a blued Lilgi barrel, my gunsmith told me if I ran it thru it's paces and liked it he would blue it to match the barrel. I guess the next time he is blueing we'll do it too.

It is finished! Thanks everybody for the help. Here are some pictures of it. Can't get photobucket to work right and make them smaller.

Started life as a Remington XCR 375 H&H. Now is a 338 RUM.

Krieger SS #5 barrel
Harrell's brake
Oversize recoil lug
Laminated Remington Stock
Talley low rings
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44 Rapid-Z800

Barrel length 26 inches and 27 1/2 with the brake. Weight is around 9 to10 lbs.
Hoping it will be ready for antelope, but will post some pictures of the first kill.

2010-08-02162453.jpg
2010-08-02162438.jpg
2010-08-02162505.jpg

very nice clean looing rifle, hope it shoots great for you!
my .338 rum sure does, and very happey with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.