Building a 338 norma

Plott hound

I have a 300 wm in Remington bdl. I would like to turn it into a 338 Norma. I understand there will be stock work ect. My question is will the stock wood stock be ok for the extra recoil or ? 1980 vintage or so. All shooting will be under 1000 yards for sure. Thanks in advance plott hound

For all the effort you will put into this, I think you would be well served to add a new stock to the build. To start you will need to get a PTG bolt with a M16 style extractor.Dan40x can weld on the bolt handle. Next blueprint the action and open up the rails to let that case through. I would recomend the HS detachable mag system to give you center feed and eliminate feeding problems. This round will work well in a 26" barrel, which should be of at least a Sendero contour with a 4 port DE brake. Put on a good 20MOA rail and you will have a good start. I have used the Manners T3 and can highly recommend it. Good luck and I wish you well, My friend's 28" Rock is getting 2800 with 300SMK's and Magnum powder.

you can get 2750fps with as short of a barrel as 23.5". the .338 Norma was designed to be super efficient to alow the use of shorter barrels. 26 would get you more, but I think that I would go 24" and call it good. +1 on anything manners.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.