Build ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by BlackSS, Apr 18, 2013.

1. BlackSS

BlackSS Well-Known Member

Can I use my SA Savage 243 to build an Edge or RUM?

Obviously I would have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round and would need a different bolt head, but any other issues?

Stainless LH actions are pricey, would like to use one I already have if possible....

2. jkrueger

jkrueger Well-Known Member

Probably, I hava a 300 WM on a savage target action, you could build a similar single shot short action. Easiest way to get the correct bolt head is buy one from PT&G

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend it, b/c it will eventually become a pain in the ass.....But as far as if it is possible.....I guess it would be possible, it's all just a matter of how much time you want to spend loading and unloading ammo and spent brass. Sounds like a big pain to me...

If it were me, I'd start off with a long-action w/ magnum bolt face, and keep the .308 a 308 Win, since that's a fun caliber to shoot.

4. BlackSS

Are you saying the short action will not eject spent casing?
    I am under the impression the only time the bolt needs to be pulled is to remove a live round.

Would be a pita if it will not eject a spent round or loading is a problem, but I have never heard that before

5. MudRunner2005

If you have to eject a spent casing you are planning on putting another one in there again, right? Therefore you'll still have to pull the bolt...

Do what you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me...

6. lightflight

lightflight Well-Known Member

Just go with 300WSM

7. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Alright, for all the nay sayers.... listen up! I have shot and know the owner of a SA Target Savage Action that is chambered in .338 Lapua. It WILL eject a spent casing. The only time you have to pull the bolt is for a loaded round. A RUM or or Win Mag based case will not be an issue for single feeding. If you want to make it a repeater, your out of luck. Long action calibers in a SA is not a problem unless you plan to build a repeater!

8. BlackSS

Any issue with a standard savage SA? (Not target action).
    Model 16

9. liltank

Nope!

10. MudRunner2005

Tank, you know me.....I'm fairly open-minded, but to me that sounds like an aweful pain to go through....Why not just buy a single-shot action, like the Noreen ULR action, or some simple tube-style action? It would be the simplest design and function. Barrel, tube-action, bolt, trigger, stock.....That's it. The only thing the action does is lock the bolt in place. The bolt is short, the bullets slide into a groove on the front of the bolt like a shell holder (for reloading), and slide right up in the chamber... Technology in its simplist form. I'm sure someone out there makes a tube-action for a reasonable price.

11. liltank

Not going to argue, it can be done. But, if the Mod 16 is all he has to work with, why not?