build a budget rifle around this bullet...7mm 180gr Berger hunting VLD

It's so hard to not give advice to build one, kinda goes against the tinkering grain, but it is cool to have a rifle that hasn't been rejected by someone at a gun show!

Cheap accuracy is a hit or miss deal IMO, most manufactures are making a fairly good cheap model in a 7mm mag so it comes down to fit and function, just go through and try as many brands as possible till you find one that fits you, the way the action operates and feels, the way the mag works, the stock fit and trigger are deal breakers for me! I use Savages, but they work for me and I really like and can tune up and Accutrigger, accuracy hasn't been a given with all of them but I did find it easy to tweak them into submission because of there design.
Trying to find and of the shelf, sub MOA at a 1000yrds rifle will take a good stock fit and trigger, if it don't fit worth beans or the trigger sucks you'll have a heck of a time getting the accuracy your looking for without doubling your investment!

Good luck!!!

plus one for what LOU said. my son-in law won the first 1000 yard match he ever shot in with a laredo and 168's . 168's shoot real good. the sendero and laredo are both good choices.

Ok, thanks for the advise everyone. Ive learned a lot since I first posted this thread, and here is what I've decided. I want to build a rifle around the 7mm WSM. I want short action, which will limit me to 168 VLD or shorter, but after running some caclulations, I don't mind. The new objective is to build a rifle that shoots the 162 AMAX and 168 VLD to their fullest potential. As far as rifle goes, I want to do it right the first time. I'm not looking for a "starter rifle". Although, I would prefer to avoid the "custom rig" price range. So, how do I accomplish a rifle that is capable of 1/2moa out to 1000yds without custom smithing? Is this possible? Or should I just start saving now?:D

ok my take. 284 winchester in a long action check out this article on its use .284 Win Tactical Hunter this is a high end build but you could do a less expensive option like this:
1. savage long action standard bolt face w/ accutrigger and box mag
2. pacnor barrel
3. stock of choice

you can seat the bullets way out if you use a long action and its not a heavier magnum action. it seems people that are using this are liking it. win brass is cheap.

Im building a sako 75 in 280ai but i dont think 2950 would be an attainable goal in 280ai with the 180's thats why im going to try to use the 168s. the 284 was my next choice.

I think the 7 WSM and 162 Amax/168 Berger is a very resonable and excellent choice for the long shots. Both those bullets are very accurate and cheap enough to shoot a lot. Use the TTSX or Accubond on closer shots if needed.

The Stevens/Savage with a Pac-Nor barrel will get you the accuracy you want. I'd get a Savage and see how the factory barrel shoots. It may be good enough. Shoot out the factory barrel with lots of practice then go custom barrel. There is a very good chance this will be just as accurate as a full custom.

Nice going guys, didn't take long to bump him to a Custom Rig! LOL

I like the 7WSM. My buddies Savage 7WSM, with the factory barrel, is usually good for .6-.7 moa, @1000yds, for 3 shots, with the 162 A-max and the 180 Berger. He has an aftermarket stock on it. We were going to put a heavy aftermarket barrel on it, but he feels it shoots plenty good enough as is.

However, if you are now bumping yourself up the price range, you may want to consider a Remington Sendero, or the Savage Long Range Hunter. Both are dedicated long range rigs for about $1000 that are top choices for off the shelf. Unfortunately, they are not available in the 7WSM. Not much is.....

I guess you have to decide on how soon you want to get started having some fun and learning the game of long range marksmanship. Off the shelf, you can get started right now. Or, if you want to wait awhile and have some fun putting together a custom rig thats alright too.

I've shot numerous rigs, off the shelf and custom, .5 moa @ 1000yds is pretty challenging. A good off the shelf rig with the right handload will get you sub-moa @1000 for 3 shots. If you are honestly bent on a .5moa 1000yd rig, the Savage long range hunter in 6.5x284 or a custom barrel 7mm would probably be your best shot. No promises.

A strong consideration in all of this long range shooting is- Do You Reload? I assume you do, or are planning on this also? Handloading savy will play a significant role in getting the most out of whatever rig you go with. No worries though, you have plenty of help standing by here at LRH.

ok my take. 284 winchester in a long action check out this article on its use .284 Win Tactical Hunter this is a high end build but you could do a less expensive option like this:
1. savage long action standard bolt face w/ accutrigger and box mag
2. pacnor barrel
3. stock of choice

you can seat the bullets way out if you use a long action and its not a heavier magnum action. it seems people that are using this are liking it. win brass is cheap.

Im building a sako 75 in 280ai but i dont think 2950 would be an attainable goal in 280ai with the 180's thats why im going to try to use the 168s. the 284 was my next choice.

I totally agree ! Savage all the way, Accuracy and reasonable price... Not starting a war here but I sold one Remington 'cause I'm no gunsmith and good ones are hard to find in the sticks...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.