Bugholes on a budget..stevens 6br

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by 300R, Nov 18, 2010.

1. 300R

300R Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,i thought i would post some pics of my stevens action 6mmBR and show some people what can be done on a small budget,i put this together myself while waiting for another rifle to be built and the end result is a very accurate gun costing me a third of some of my custom action builds and it shoots just as good,not only that, you get the satisfaction of doing it all on your own.
    I have read many times about people doing stevens/savage barrel swaps and how easy it was and so on...... i just had to give it a go!
    Well i can honestly say it was a cinch,so if you have been thinking about doing a pre-fit barrel swap, i say go for it!!
    This is a breakdown of costs below but remember these prices are in Australian dollars so it may seem a little expensive to you if you live in America, but everything is relative being how high our standard wage is down under(here you earn $30AU an hour for holding a stop/go lollypop on a building site or roadworks).I purchased the stevens new in 243win on special($449) and sold the barrel for($150) which recovered some of my rifle cost,the B&C stock i purchased second hand unused($350) and the timney trigger i found new on special($150),6br go-gauge($30),egw rail($90) and the shilen pre-chamberd and threaded barrel being the most expensive($500) the barrel nut wrench and barrel clamp i borrowed, all up it owes me $1419au,now if you put into comparison a surgeon or nesika action alone is worth $2k + and a proven factory good shooting rifle like a rem 700 sendero is $2400, this makes the stevens custom great value.Some pics of the rifle below and a pic of the best group it shot first time out on the range, this is actually six shots with 105 amax's @200m(220yards) the measurement is outside to outside so you can do the math,the scope pictured on the rifle is not exactly budget but its borrowed of another one of my rifles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10

SOUTHPAWSHOOTER10 Well-Known Member

Rifle looks awesome and apparently shoots very well. You must be pleased. I just love seeing savage / stevens builds. Nice to know that if someone wants a great shooting rifle they don't have to spend a fortune.