Bugholes on a budget..stevens 6br

300R

Hi Guys,i thought i would post some pics of my stevens action 6mmBR and show some people what can be done on a small budget,i put this together myself while waiting for another rifle to be built and the end result is a very accurate gun costing me a third of some of my custom action builds and it shoots just as good,not only that, you get the satisfaction of doing it all on your own.
I have read many times about people doing stevens/savage barrel swaps and how easy it was and so on...... i just had to give it a go!
Well i can honestly say it was a cinch,so if you have been thinking about doing a pre-fit barrel swap, i say go for it!!
This is a breakdown of costs below but remember these prices are in Australian dollars so it may seem a little expensive to you if you live in America, but everything is relative being how high our standard wage is down under(here you earn $30AU an hour for holding a stop/go lollypop on a building site or roadworks).I purchased the stevens new in 243win on special($449) and sold the barrel for($150) which recovered some of my rifle cost,the B&C stock i purchased second hand unused($350) and the timney trigger i found new on special($150),6br go-gauge($30),egw rail($90) and the shilen pre-chamberd and threaded barrel being the most expensive($500) the barrel nut wrench and barrel clamp i borrowed, all up it owes me $1419au,now if you put into comparison a surgeon or nesika action alone is worth $2k + and a proven factory good shooting rifle like a rem 700 sendero is $2400, this makes the stevens custom great value.Some pics of the rifle below and a pic of the best group it shot first time out on the range, this is actually six shots with 105 amax's @200m(220yards) the measurement is outside to outside so you can do the math,the scope pictured on the rifle is not exactly budget but its borrowed of another one of my rifles.
011.jpg

009.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:
Rifle looks awesome and apparently shoots very well. You must be pleased. I just love seeing savage / stevens builds. Nice to know that if someone wants a great shooting rifle they don't have to spend a fortune.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.