Budget setup

I'll probably get chasted for this, but I have a Mueller APT on my rimfire. it's very repeatable. Clear enough, and 4-16x with mil-dot. 30mm tube with plenty of elevation, but I'll echo what these guys say and if you are going to shoot animals, save up. but this will get you started on paper. It's no vortex or leupold, but for $169 it's hard to beat. the people over at rimfire central love them, and for good reason. repeatable clicks, lots of adjustment, target knobs, and fairly clear. short of finding a real steal on a used scope, this is the best scope for the money with these features.
Nimrod

If you want to shoot out to 1,000 yds. you will need a scope that has repeatable turrets. You will also need a 20 MOA Picatinny rail to help you get more elevation in your scope.

You might plan on getting a Laser Rangefinder. Then learn to count your clicks for elevation and hold for wind.

By the way what caliber do you plan on shooting?

joseph

If you want to shoot out to 1,000 yds. you will need a scope that has repeatable turrets. You will also need a 20 MOA Picatinny rail to help you get more elevation in your scope.

You might plan on getting a Laser Rangefinder. Then learn to count your clicks for elevation and hold for wind.

joseph
Depending on his scope, caliber, and how hot his handloads (if he reloads) are, he might not need a 20MOA rail. I had a 20MOA rail on my 700 5R .308 and I couldn't zero out at 100 yards. I had to shoot 4-5 Mils low just to hit the target at 100 yards b/c my scope was out of upward travel. So I swapped out to a 0MOA rail, and now I can 0 at 100 yards, and still have plenty of travel downward and out to 1000.

So, using a 20MOA recommendation as a genertic remedy is not always the proper antidote.

Also, to the OP, have you looked into the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with the target turrets. The turrets are VERY accurate and quite repeatable, and the glass is phenomenal. I use one on a different rifle than the one mentioned above, and it is an incredible scope for the money.

joseph

Whoops forgot, I am shooting my dads rem 700 .270 win. It's not the best for longer range but whatever I guess haha. I will be shooting 150 gr hornadys when hunting. I think I will need that picatinny rail

You could always rebarrel it to a .280 Ackley Improved and it WOULD be a long range contender......Literally, all you would have to do is a put a barrel chambered for .280 AI on it...Everything else fits, bolt & bolt face, floorplate, everything... :)

If you are looking for a picatinny rail, check out EGW (Evolution Gun Works). I use their rails exclusively. Len Backus, the proprietor of this site, also uses them, so you know they can't be junk.

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php

You remove the bases that are currently on your gun before installing the 1-piece picatinny base. It mounts to the top of the reciever with 4 screws.

Dovetail is the style of base that's on it, not the reciever itself. You should 't have to take the gun to a gunsmith to have the rail put on, it takes 10 mins to remove the old stuff and install the new. Takes you about 2 more to boresight it.

I switched my Vortex PST 6-24x50 mm scope with a custom turret from my bolt action Savage 6mm Norma BR. to my Browning BAR 30-06. With a 200 yd. zero the custom turret is dead on out to at least 400 yds. At 400 yds. it shoots a 6 inch 5 shot group. Not to shabby with a BAR shooting factory ammo. A bolt action should shoot smaller groups then 6 inches at 400 yds.

gt40

Attachments

• rifle 2 .JPG
    rifle 2 .JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 84
You remove the bases that are currently on your gun before installing the 1-piece picatinny base. It mounts to the top of the reciever with 4 screws.

Dovetail is the style of base that's on it, not the reciever itself. You should 't have to take the gun to a gunsmith to have the rail put on, it takes 10 mins to remove the old stuff and install the new. Takes you about 2 more to boresight it.

What all will the 20MOA change? I wanted to be zeroed at 200 yds. Is that possible with the 20MOA? WOULD 15MOA be better?

You could always rebarrel it to a .280 Ackley Improved and it WOULD be a long range contender......Literally, all you would have to do is a put a barrel chambered for .280 AI on it...Everything else fits, bolt & bolt face, floorplate, everything... :)

If you are looking for a picatinny rail, check out EGW (Evolution Gun Works). I use their rails exclusively. Len Backus, the proprietor of this site, also uses them, so you know they can't be junk.

Evolution Gun Works Inc..

I just saw this about the .280. Is ammo any cheaper? and is it really that great of an inprovement?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.