Budget Pack?

Propdoc03

I hope I am not alone in this but I simply can not afford the Kifaru pack that I was hoping to purchase earlier this year with out severely sacrificing other needs for this years hunt. I still need to get a compact spotting scope, ACI and the list continues.
The Eberlstock is closer to my budget but I am not sure I am too fond of the rifle carrying system with it being between the pack and my back for both comfort and access to the rifle? Also, what happens should you slip and fall on your butt, would this shove the barrel into the ground or a rock, I assume it has a good hard nose on the scabbard?

Is there any hope on finding an external frame pack like a Jansport or any other budget priced pack or would is just be wasted money? I do have a Gregory Lassen internal frame pack but it weighs 8lbs alone and it lacks the ability to strap/tie stuff to the outside of it.

Any ideas or suggestion are very welcomed!!!

Many thanks!,
PD

I just bought an eberlestock skycrane on sale at eberlestock...I really like the scabbard..it comes with a cover so that it won't fall out but you can take the cover off as well. Pulling the rifle out wasn't any problem at all. I have not tried to sit down, and I would assume that yes it would be a little problematic. If I'm going to be sitting down, I think I'll be taking my pack off anyway. All that said, the price is right and I really like the pack. Another one of my buddies is ordering one.

A lot of the answer depends on information you did not supply.

How much weight and how much volume do you need to carry. Do you need a tall frame or short frame?

My advice is to go up on the REI website and look at Ultralites. By definition they are not going to be as strong and durable as the "expedition" size packs. If you simply must lash a rifle to the pack then you should be looking at heavier duty packs. After you have gotten a feel for the ones that might appeal to you then search the internet for reviews of them. Finally go to REI and gather up all your choices in a pile on the floor. Sort through them one by one discarding ones that do not have tie downs and pockets where you want them or which have no back protection pad. After a few hours you will be down to just two or three. Flip a coin and get one of them.

I use a system of four packs: a fanny pack, a day pack, an ultralite, and an expedition internal frame. I choose the pack according to the day's hunting plan. I do not lash my rifle to the pack instead I use a cross shoulder carry strap such as was commonly used for M-60 machine guns.

Thanks guys. I am looking at doing a min. of three day pack trips and expecting my pack to be right around 30lbs. less the rifle if I can stay with a lighter pack. I do a little backpacking and a 10lb pake is heavy but I guess it needs to be for pack hunting to have the strength?. I am 6'-1" tipping the scales at about 260lbs with a 20" torso.

Can you tell me if the muzzle in the scabbard is hard/protective?

Thanks,
PD

Mystery Ranch is having a super sale right now and some Crew Cabs are going for very low prices. MR are THE packs, AFAIAC, and I have had about everything and have Kifaru. Check out www.mysteryranch.com, HTH.

I used a jansport external frame for a few years and hauled out some heavy bears with it and it worked pretty good. It was definately not made for the hunter in mind. I now use the Blacks Creek "canadian" and I really like it. Its an internal frame and very functional. I believe it was about $189 at Sportsman warehouse. The warrantees are exellent also. Good luck and look at all of them!

If I was going to buy another one I would look at the Blacks creek Bone Collector pack.

JP

Last edited:
I second what Tim in Washington said on getting a Kifaru Gunbearer to carry your rifle. I have used an Eberlestock gunslinger pack for more miles than I can guess - and after adding a Kifaru gunbearer to the pack I have never had my rifle back in the pack. I'm now using a Badlands 2200 and have 2 sons that have packed a lot of meat out on one of these. You can buy them for under 200 bucks and their warranty is as good as it gets.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.