budget medium range hunting rifle/scope

killerspoons

cost of both need to be under $1200 and loooking to use it out to 500 yards on deer/elk once I get good enough. recoil needs to be around a 30-06 preferably less.

I would have to say a Savage model 11/111 LRH, maybe in a 6.5 creedmore, 260 or 6.5x284, and a vortex PST 4-16x50. This may be a little over 1200$ but not by much. This is what I would do anyways.

Used Savage w/ Heavy or Varmint barrel and accutrigger. I'm thinking you'll have to get used to heavier recoil if you want to bring down elk at 500, but someone wiser can chime in on that. Reasonably priced, you can tune the trigger to a lighter pull, good barrels. Additionaly the action by design doesn't require the precision machine work other actions do for long range accuracy. Glass bed the stock yourself for cheap.

Scope wise I'm a fan of the Vortex Viper series with a mildot reticle. Reasonable price, great optics quality, and no questions lifetime warranty.

EGW 20 MOA HD scope base. As for rings I like serial numbered matched set rings. I went Seekins,but there are definitely cheaper options. I also prefer aluminum over steel in these components for weight savings.

This combo should fall under your price range.

Last edited:
The Tikka T3 light is a good choice. I like it in the 300 wsm and 300 winchester since they don't mke the 338 any more. The 300 wsm isn't much difference from the 30-06 in recoil.

Rifle: look at the various Savage models. They are economically priced and shoot well. If you can get one with the accu-trigger, that would be good. That way you can adjust the trigger weight down. (most rifles come from the factory with a 5lb+ trigger pull. Generally speaking, 2.5lbs or less is much better.)

Cartridge: 30-06 may do what you want, but a 300wsm or 300winmag will take care of it for sure. If you're concerned about recoil, consider adding a muzzle brake to your rifle.

Optics: buy the best optics you can afford. Look at Bushnell, Vortex and Nikon.

killerspoons,
I scour the gun shops and pawn shops for used, heavy barreled rifles. These can usually be found in pretty good shape at fair prices.

The last two I bought were $500 each and had seen little to no use and certainly no abuse. A Win70 HVB .243 was in excellent condition and a Savage 112 BVSS .300WinMag was in very good condition. I talked to both of the previous owners, the .243 had seen about 40 rounds and the .300, about a 100 rds.

I put an older Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20X44 AO with fine crosshairs that I bought years earlier on the .243 mated with Leupold Long Range STD base and Burris Signature rings. I have the trigger adjusted down to 2lbs and with less than $1000.00 invested it has produces groups of 2.5-3" groups at 500yds with handloads, quiet regularly.

On the Savage .300 I mounted a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 with side parallex adjustment and Target Dot in Burris Rings/Mounts. This is the pre-Accu-Trigger, so I added a Rifle Basix trigger set at 2lbs. Again, roughly a $1000.00 investment and accuracy is right at 3" at 500yds. I took this rifle to the range (Red Cloud) at Fort Stewart, Ga. and took it out to 1000yds. I was shooting at a mound of hard Georgia red clay but could easily see my hits and with a little adjustment of my range card (derived from JBM) I was stacking 'em on top of each other.

500yds is doable and doesn't have to break your bank. :) JohnnyK.

I would have to say a Savage model 11/111 LRH, maybe in a 6.5 creedmore, 260 or 6.5x284, and a vortex PST 4-16x50. This may be a little over 1200$ but not by much. This is what I would do anyways.

Lets quantify that a bit. Per chance to you mean a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter? An 11-111 is a bit more than a grand by itself. Havs one of those too....

I also have an 11 Lightweight Hunter in 308 and 7mm-08, both with Viper PST, 4-16's and both are right at 1200 (with some educated bartering) bucks with rings and interestingly, both weigh in with 4 in the magazine at less than 7.5 pounds.

Nice toting rifles that won't wear your shoulder out ot weigh your pack down.

The 308 is my utility rifle because the ammo is available anywhere.

cost of both need to be under $1200 and loooking to use it out to 500 yards on deer/elk once I get good enough. recoil needs to be around a 30-06 preferably less.
Used 700 or M-70, magnum taper barrel, synthetic or laminate stock in calibers from 7mm Mag, 300wsm, 300wm, or even 30-06 will get the job done for you @ or under 700.00.

Find a good used Leupold 3.5-10x50, Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 (or by 50), to put on it and you have a complete short to medium range rig for 1,000-1,100.00 and enough left over to put a good muzzle brake on it to satisfy your recoil requirements.

If you want unbraked I would go for a .280 Rem or 7mm SAUM. The SUAM would probabaly only be found in a Rem model 7. I think those are going to be the best terminal performers with the recoil parameters you have.

I put together a .243 Win for CAD$1275 last year.
Rem 700 DBM (chrome moly)-$515
Voortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 -$700
Leupold rings/ bases $60

Prices in Canada are way higher than in the US, so i think that you could upgrade on the rifle a bit and still be under $1200.

With the above mentioned set up I could hold MOA to almost 800 yards, while not bench rest accurate, it was within Minute of Coyote:D.

I have never liked savages, they arent overly pretty, but I am becoming a beliver.

Lets quantify that a bit. Per chance to you mean a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter? An 11-111 is a bit more than a grand by itself. Havs one of those too....

Spring Sale 2012

Read Page two! I had a long range hunter in my hands that was all black, adjustable muzzle brake, and the ugly cheek piece for about 769$. My understanding they are real shooters!

O well!

Got to a pawnshop, gun shop what ever and look at their used rifles. You can find most any caliber. just check it over real well and make sure it's in good mechanical shape (stock finish is clear and clean, no rust, barrel is clean) maybe have a gunsmith give it a once over if that makes you feel better. I picked up my 270 and 12ga as a package deal for $350, put scope on the 270 that I already had that I knew was a good scope. It's been a winning combo for a lot of years now. Granted the 270 isn't going to win any beauty contests.

No need to spend a lot of cash on something new, and if your going to learn to reload you can take your savings and spend that on reloading components and learn to shoot your rifle as well as can be.gun)

My axis in 308 is shooting 500 yards easy and $450 in aus, add a good scope and youll well exceed 500

Since you want 30-06 recoil, why not a 30-06? Use Berger bullets, and your good to go to 800 yards. The 185grn Berger would be good medicine. As far as rifle, a tuned up used Savage will do all you need.

Spring Sale 2012

Read Page two! I had a long range hunter in my hands that was all black, adjustable muzzle brake, and the ugly cheek piece for about 769$. My understanding they are real shooters!

O well!

Not the one I have in 11-111. Mine is a bit heavier, has the 20 MOA rail and a grey snot stock with the 'ugly' Karsten adjustable cheek. Quakers aren't all the beautiful either.....:)

Yes, it's a shooter and yes, several posters on here are having issues with them. Not me, musta got as good one....

Tax and OTD incidentals plus a decent scope will put him over the top of his meger allowance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.