Budget LRH rifle: venture, 783, I-bolt, American, savage

i had a winchester laredo. did real good. it was equal any of my senderos. weatherby accumark is another; i have not had one but would like to.

Mudrunner2005, I have the same experience except I did have the actions bedded on all the other rifles and in some cases had the crowns cut for better accuracy.

I don't know why, perhaps luck as well, but my savages have had nothing done to them period. I have not bedded, not needed to mod the stocks in anyway, nor play with the triggers. They have been fine from the box to the range. Not trying to convince you to like Savage, but it seems they are doing something right for those who want options. Actually is a little overwhelming to know there are quite a few good choices out there for guys not able to purchase custom or have access to trusted smiths.
Oh trust me, they are good weapons....I just don't like them, and will never own one. But that's just my personal preference. Unless I was given a free one, I simply can't see ever having one in the safe...You will never hear me say they are bad weapons, because that is simply not true. I am just a die-hard 700 fan, when it comes to custom rifles and the platform I prefer to build off of.

SOFA- a couple others are- a reminton 5-r. a rem 700 PSS. in 308, a rem 700 vssf. there are others. none of my suggestions are on your list.

Under $750 with optics is probably unattainable. I think that your best bet is to get a Remington sps or a savage with accutrigger (not an AXIS or EDGE). Glass bed/pillar bed it and get a good scope mounted. I wouldn't spend under $500 on a scope. That's a cheap optic in the grand scheme of things.
I would stick to the savage or Remington because you can upgrade them as you go easily. triggers and stocks are available and can be had used for a very good price.

I did this with a .243 win for coyotes and I have shot it to 900+ on steel. Sometimes I get around 3/4 MOA, sometimes 1 1/2 MOA. Its not what I call a long range rifle, but its fun and could smoke a yote at that range.
It is a plain Jane SPS DM with a Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 on it. I did a lot of work to the stock stiffening it and made it into a thumbhole (there is actually more steel and fiberglass in it than original stock. ). Then glass bedded it.
Laminate stocks are also good for the money.

If you aren't hand loading get a .223 or .308 so that you can afford to play.

Looking into getting a new budget minded LRH rifle. And to spend a total of $750. Considering staying with non magnum cartridges like .308 or .30-06. Would any of these make the cut on a budget build?

-Thompson Center Venture
-Remington 783
-S&W I-bolt
-Ruger American
-Savage w/acutrigger

Most of these have an adjustable style trigger and other small improvements from each other. Are these current budget priced rifles around the $400 or so found locally. Are they capable 7-800 yd rifles? As far as optics with $300 being the max price. What's a good choice? lots of brands out there but not to sure on quality. Have redfield revolution 4-12x40 and leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 currently but desire more magnification for Wyoming.

As you can see, you'll get plenty of varying recommendations/opinions. Here's is http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/ for your consideration.

Welcome to LRH and good luck on your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.