Budget 500 yard gun ?

Not a problem. Dozens of available sources of factory ammo out there today.

True. STW ammo is available.

But, there are other cartridges that may be more cost effective for a 500yd budget rifle depending on your budget and how much you plan to shoot.

-- richard

True. STW ammo is available.

But, there are other cartridges that may be more cost effective for a 500yd budget rifle depending on your budget and how much you plan to shoot.

-- richard
Well that's pretty much the case with just about any of them other than 308win.

I just happened across that one and thought I'd toss it in.

Not a problem. Dozens of available sources of factory ammo out there today.

They available if you shop online, but in my local stores they none-existing. Of course gunshops can order any ammo for you, but its inconvenient.

They available if you shop online, but in my local stores they none-existing. Of course gunshops can order any ammo for you, but its inconvenient.
Depending on where one lives that can be the case with many of the calibers we shoot here.

Hell even walmart just stocks what sells in high volume and that eliminate 90% of what we shoot.

Would like a caliber i could put a lot of trigger time in without having to give up my first born.

Leaning toward the .308. Anyone have any Pros or Cons? Thanks

pretty hard to beat the price of a Savage bolt rifle in 300 win-mag ,,,,,,

I would worry about the 308 win caliber at 500 yards on the larger animals ,,,,

Would like a caliber i could put a lot of trigger time in without having to give up my first born.

Leaning toward the .308. Anyone have any Pros or Cons? Thanks

308 will work for 500 yards, choose your bullets wisely. There are cheap 308 ammo, 147 - 150 gr, stay away from them. Find rifle with 1:10 twist so you can shoot heavy 168 - 200 gr bullets, 175 - 178 gr preferably. Then learn how to hand-load ;-)

pretty hard to beat the price of a Savage bolt rifle in 300 win-mag ,,,,,,

I would worry about the 308 win caliber at 500 yards on the larger animals ,,,,

He asked for a gun that would take deer sized game out to 500. A 308 win would be fine for that. BUT I am with you on the 300 win mag because sooner or later everyone wants to kill a big game animal so why not buy a gun that will do it all?

Yall are making it waay too hard on the OP. Get you a Savage model 10 or 111 in 7 mag or 7 short mag. Find some factory ammo that shoots less than an inch and enjoy. I would go with a short action because if you do decide to spiff it up in the future, there is allot more options for the short action. 500 yards is very easy to shoot, once you get over 500 is where the real hard part starts. I would also get a scope with turrets like a Vortex 4-14x40, 6.5-20x44, or a Weaver 3-10x40. A good repeatable scope is more important than the gun.

I would go with a short action because if you do decide to spiff it up in the future, there is allot more options for the short action.

I think jsthntn was referring to long action, because with long you can go either way short-medium-long but with short you are stuck with short.

yer best bet is a sendero in 25-06 or you pick. for cheaper you could get a 308 hvy barrel at dicks witha scope for 399. cheaper is not always better . guns last a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.