Budget 500 yard gun ?

Yes but if you are going to go the 6.5 route I'd suggest going with the .260 rem. It's going to be around for a very, very long time and so will both the factory ammo and components.

In that same vein is the 7mm-08 which is certainly worth a look.

+1

Forgot about the 260! Light recoil and you can load up or buy ammo super easy. 140 gr bullet that just won't give up!

260 would be a very good choice, but who makes 260 with 1:8 twist on the budget? Savage makes 11 FCNS you can get one for about 550 - 600 it has 22" barrel, but if it was me I would get their Stevens model and add custom prefit barrel then change its trigger to sss or rifle basix down the road...

260 would be a very good choice, but who makes 260 with 1:8 twist on the budget? Savage makes 11 FCNS you can get one for about 550 - 600 it has 22" barrel, but if it was me I would get their Stevens model and add custom prefit barrel then change its trigger to sss or rifle basix down the road...
For just a little more Remington does.

Remington-Arms-Model-Seven-CDL-Centerfire-Rifle

In fact with the Christmas Sales you might well find one well under 700.00 if you shop around and give gunbroker and auctionarms a look.

Check the classifieds here as well.

Thing with Remington 7, it has 20" barrel and 1:9 twist, but for the long shots I would prefer 1:8 to handle 140 gr bullets.

Thing with Remington 7, it has 20" barrel and 1:9 twist, but for the long shots I would prefer 1:8 to handle 140 gr bullets.
Darn it you're right. I was thinking they came in a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist.

As cheaply as old 700's and Model 70's can be bought at pawn shops and online one could just buy one, junk the bbl and send it off to Krieger for a new custom bbl in the desired length and twist rate.

Kreiger will do the whole job including truing the action for under 800.00.

I switched barrel on my old 111 Savage in 270 WIN to 260 REM, I got CBI barrel in 260 Rem for about $265 from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply. It's great shooter, I have no problem taking out bugs at 100 yards with it :D

I switched barrel on my old 111 Savage in 270 WIN to 260 REM, I got CBI barrel in 260 Rem for about $265 from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply. It's great shooter, I have no problem taking out bugs at 100 yards with it :D
Not a thing wrong with just rebarreling an old favorite.

I'll be doing that with at least one, maybe two of mine in the next six months.

Personally if I was just wanting a 500yd deer rifle I'd go 243. Rifle would depend on the target weight I was looking at. If I wanted heavy I'd pick up a Rem VLS and run either 105Amax's/VLD's, or run the 95VLD if the 105's wouldn't shoot. Scope would a 1" 3.5-10x40 Leupold with a M1 turret. If I wanted light I would try and find one of the special run Rem Mountain Guides in 243. They are a mountain rifle contour in a B&C TI stock. Scope/bullets would be the same. If I couldn't find one of those I'd snag up just an ADL 243 and put it in a B&C TI stock.

I've been full circle with rifle builds over the past 6 years or so since I got into this. I went through the "heavy" rifle stage and have finally ended up with light to modest weight rifles that wear good tubes and good triggers. I kind of feel that a quality tube is a quality tube and that matter more than what the outside diameter measures, at least for me.

I have a couple of the 243 mountain guides mentioned above and here is one of them. This was before I punched it to 243AI and it wears a fixed 6x scope. This group was shot at 500yds right at the end of the day, off of a pack for a rest while laying prone. Pretty much a mirror of hunting conditions. Now the group wouldn't make a benchrester happy, but as far as a pure killing rilfe.....there's nothing more I'd ask of it. This rifle weighs 6#13oz all up and is a joy to carry and easy to shoot.

243at500-1-2.jpg

Lots of good advice has already been given.

I would add that there are lots of good deals on used rifles in the classified section here, on gunbroker, and at local gun shows. But, caveat emptor.

If you're flexible and patient, a savvy buyer can do very well.

-- richard

How about a budget 500 yard gun that will get you to 1000yds just as easily?

Savage Model 112 Heavy Stainless 7mm STW Rare $1NR : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Put on a limbsavers recoil pad, bedding job, muzzle brake, and you have it all in one.

Remington M700 VLS in .308.! No muzzle brake needed....recoil pad from the factory..decent trigger adjusted all the way down...and later after shooting it awhile the owner himself can bed it down...free floating the barrel.

$895.oo new

Personally if I was just wanting a 500yd deer rifle I'd go 243. Rifle would depend on the target weight I was looking at. If I wanted heavy I'd pick up a Rem VLS and run either 105Amax's/VLD's, or run the 95VLD if the 105's wouldn't shoot. ....

I agree! And I had one re-barreled in .260 ( why Rem never did is beyond me???) and its a REAL shooter!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.