Budget .22LR Long Range Rig

gun)gun)
What do you guys think about a budget ($300-$400) .22 long range rig. I've looked at the Savage Mark II-F at Walmart $150, with Accu-Trigger. I'm going to pillar and glass bed, as well as add an adjustable check rest. That will all be stuff I make, so it don't really figure into the price that much. I need good glass and mounts. What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
Bull

Last edited:
better..

dont rebarrel, cz is the way, a friend of mine uses one and an old weaver k16 dot reticle and shoots up to 400 yards.

try to get some bases with a bunch of MOA, on my two anschutz(1413 and ms) I use leupold glass for comp and cant get past 150 yards.

JOE

I have a marlin 22 that shoots but not the best 50 yd are are about 2 inch. its about 15 yrs old if a did a glass beading job on the wood stock could them help getting the groups tighter. How about lapping the barrell or bore polishing like using David Tubbs Final Finish/ Kg 2 bore polish? i tested differnt ammo (6 different one worst was 6inch gorup at 50 yd best was 2 in) Trigger has creep and tough can it be redone. Is it worth the time and effort without going to a gunsmith?

Last edited:
Yesterday the wind was doing 0-3mph. At 200 lasered yards, my CZ 452 LH American with a Super sniper 10X scope did very well. 5 rounds of Wolf Match target went inside 1.63". Federal 510's put 6 inside 2.03" and 5 went 1.87". I sighted mine in every 25 yards from 50 to 350 yards. Torqueing the back and front screws helped tighten things up.

It is both economical and fun.

I'm picking up a Savage Accutrigger MK-II-G and having a Lilja 1-9" barrel fitted to it for the Aguila SSS bullets. I also picked up a Bushnell 3200 10x - 40mm off of ebay for pretty cheap $$. That'll be my long range practice gun for the backyard. That should get me accustomed to dialing for elevation and windage. With a longer barrel it should be pretty quiet. The scope was cheaper than the gun, but not so for the barrel.

I shoot a Remington 40X in .22 LR at as far as I can---about 175 yards when I run out of clicks on my 24x Leupold benchrest scope. It wears the factory 27" barrel that I have fire lapped with the SSS ammo, however I shoot Federal 36 gr. HPs supersonic. Even shooting supersonic, it sounds like my RWS 52 pellet gun in .22 caliber. I think I may put my Baer 20 MOA bases on the 40X to really stretch it out, LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.