BSA 6-24 mildot side focus at Midway?

top predator

to nip it in the bud before it gets going off topic and every optic in the world is mentioned.......i know put the money toward a leopold, nikon, vortex, yadda yadda etc etc.

i've had previous experience with BSA, all have been sent back, perhaps i answered my own question there, perhaps this particular model is different in than the usual BSA.

question is has anyone used this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962234/...atte?cm_vc=S014

$150.00 bucks, most reviews that sounds like they came from a credible source are favorable.

i did a search, any input on those that actually used this scope would be appreciated.

if no one wants to admit it they can PM me.

putting on a .22lr from 50 to 300 yards, will be cranking the turrets alot.

how's the clarity between 20-24x?

turrets repeatable?

I looked at it for the purpose as you. I told a friend about these and he bought one. I checked it out and it definately looks better than any BSA I have looked through. I don't like the fact that they don't tell you how much adjustment is available. After looking at my friends I went with this instead for my rimfire.
40/44 Series Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 44mm Adjustable Objective Varminter Reticle Matte
I am glad I made this choice. Much better optically than the BSA.

I had one for a while and its certainly not a top shelf scope, it really was not all that bad. I used it on a savage 116 in .300 rum and it work fine until I could do better, but they may be kind of hit or miss.

I had two same scope without side focus for silhouette matches. Both had problems, never again for me.

I looked at it for the purpose as you. I told a friend about these and he bought one. I checked it out and it definately looks better than any BSA I have looked through. I don't like the fact that they don't tell you how much adjustment is available. After looking at my friends I went with this instead for my rimfire.
40/44 Series Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 44mm Adjustable Objective Varminter Reticle Matte
I am glad I made this choice. Much better optically than the BSA.

I looked thru one of those at my local shop....I was impressed and when I saw the price tag I was even MORE impressed!!!

I shouldnt berate BSA's like I do...I have one of them. I use it as a WHEEL CHOCK....for my motorhome.....:D

Put one of these BSA scopes from Midway on 257Roberts rifle about a month ago. The rifle was a very low cost build using a free mauser action and free gunsmithing services owed me for some stock work I'd done. Only money I had in the rifle was the cost of the barrel (a $90 A&B Midway barrel) and the BSA scope. I've had some decent success with several models of BSA scopes so didn't mind giving this BSA a try. So, presently I have over 120 rounds fired with this scope mounted and have not noted any problems with it except the rings furnished with it are too high. Had it at range today trying a couple of new reload combinations of powder and bullets. Mind you, most of my shooting has only been at 100 yd targets. Occassionally bust a clay pigeon or shoot a steel plate at 200 yards with the rifle. I've yet to take the rifle over to our 400 or 600 yard range to try.

Lens quality is nothing to brag about. I have other brand scopes with better optics. However, I've no gripes about its clarity edge to edge at 24 power. Its optics are more than adequate for my needs. Windage and elevation ajustments seem to function well for me. But then, my adjustments are usually just for elevation since I'm constantly trying different powders and bullet combinations....so number of clicks I make is to adjust for changing from say a load with a 75 grain bullet to a load with a 117 grain bullet. Elevation adjustments have performed well for this. Cannot vouch for its repeatability.

thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming for the good of the order.

i guess it's a hit and miss thing, i've never had good luck with BSA in the long run, always wore them out within 3 years.

perhaps this one is different, perhaps not.

I'd look at this one:

Simmons 6-21x44 .44 Mag Riflescope SP Target Turrets Truplex Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Or here:
Simmons - 44 Mag

I have one on a 25-06 I purchased, 6-21x44 with target turrets (which the photos never show) and Truplex reticle. The scope happened to come along with the rifle, and the previous owner left it on when I asked about it.
It tracks perfectly every time, and is incredible for a $129 scope. It works so well with that rifle that I hate to swap it out and "upgrade." If I do remove it then I'll probably put it on a 22LR just like you're discussing.

they aren't too bad for the money...I have one on my 22-250.....At least you got some answers.Thats MORE than I got to my question about a target scope..

Most people aint got the money to put on a 1000 dollar piece of glass....

My opinion is what good is a 1000 dollar scope if you aint got it on a rifle good enough for it or you can't shoot anyway....Sounds harsh I know,but it's true..

For the money if they were a little more clear,I would buy another for my 308...I could care less what others say....So if you like it...Then thats all that matters...John

i wore out one of those simmons, the replacement was damaged, and i sold the replacement for the replacement. nice scope though. had it on a .22lr, which doesn't sound bad, but crnking it all the time from 25 to 300yards and back took it's toll on it.

thanks savagelover .

i actually have my eye on two scopes, the BSA mentioned in the OP and a Nikko Stirling targetmaster 6-24 56mm.

i've had the oppurtunity to look through a 4-16 targetmaster (i liked what i seen), but the BSA has it's advantages too.

both are equal on the pros and cons list

I have this scope mounted on my 22-250. I think it's a decent scope for a light varmint/target application. The entire magnification range is useable. It adjusts accurately with the target turrets. I love the side parallax adjustment.

It has performed well for me at the range during factory ammo testing and load development. I was even able to see well enough with it to take out a marauding predator on a moonless night.

My only question with this scope concerns its range of vertical adjustment. One of the reviews on midway's site stated that this scope has more down than up adjustment. I intend to put that to the test later this fall when I shoot to establish come-ups to 600 yards. I am curious to see if i run out of adjustment before I get there. If I do, I plan to install an EGW 20 MOA mount and try again. If the scope does indeed have more down adjustment, I am thinking it would work well in combination with the 20 MOA rail.

I really like this scope and feel that it is a good value for $150. I would not hesitate to buy another one to put on another varmint rifle or a flat top AR and I probably will end up doing just that.

well, i went ahead and ordered one (BSA 6-24 sidewheel mildot) today, for 160.00 with shipping, i think it'll be worth a try, will review when it's ran a few range trips.

i was going to order a Nikko Stirling Targetmaster, but after several phone calls and emails with no further contact back over the last few weeks, if a problem with that scope develops it'll be hard to find a way and an updated status if it ever has to get replaced or serviced.

At least BSA customer service emailed back within 24 hours with a question i asked and an honest answer on the 8-32's beign sold on ebay.

hopefully this isn't a bad move on my part.....but if it fails it'll definately be the last "it's good enough" type scopes for me.

I have had very good luck with mine.I needed a scope for my new toy,a Ruger 10/22Target I bought before Christmas.Midway had them for$129 as an introductory special.I took a chance and ordered one.When I got it I was impressed.The glass was better than I expected,and the rest of the seemed well made.I did NOT like the rings that came with it,being that they seemed way too flimsy for a Big scope like this.I ordered some Weaver Tactical rings from Midway and they are a good match for this scope.Once I got to the range,it was on the paper without even boresighting it.After a few adjustments it zeroed in and has kept it rock solid.At 25 and 50yds it is great at 8x and at 100yds I only crank it up to 18x.With a little practice using the MilDots I could ring the steel at 300yds.Anything I buy in the future will have to be at least as good as this.:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.