Brux barrel in 22-243

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by B Jordan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. B Jordan

B Jordan Well-Known Member

bought a Brux barrel a while back someone here recomended it because i needed a barrel fast to get ready for prarie dog season well they broke a boring bit so it took about 3 weeks longer than they said but stuff happens and i understand but why does it always when im in a rush lol they were very curtious though and kept me up to date at all times

as far as quality goes i think they make a very good product i ordered a 30" 1x8"twist stainless barrel that tapered from 1.25 for 6" then to .900 at muzzle and since this was my only my third time rebarreling a rifle from a blank and my first time trueing an action i was really scared that i would mess it up ,but i am pretty familiar with a lathe so i just took my time and thought alot about what i was doing before i did it anyway here is a picture of my rifle villagephotos

here are the first two 5 shot groups after break in villagephotos

this was my starting load 40 grns H 4831 behind a 75grn A-max it avged 3180 fps i ended up pushing it up to 44 grns with an avg of 3470 fps i wanted to get to 3600 fps but i just could not make it without alot of pressure my biggest 5 shot group of the day was .870 but i shot many more .3 ,.4 and .5 groups than anything i probably shot 15 groups and was happy with almost all of them i found myself getting mad when i shot groups in the .6 and .7 range lol

someone said when i posted a question about brux barrels to let them know how it turned out i hope i have done that they seem to be very high quality to me

Thank you to whoever suggested i get one ,

Brian

2. demarpaint

demarpaint Well-Known Member

I ordered one in 7mm 9 twist, MTU Contour for a future project. Turn around time was about 2 weeks. Communication was great, good guys to deal with. It will be a while before I have it chambered, but I am certain it will be a good barrel.

Frank D

3. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, good looking rifle and nice groups does the barrel maker have a web site? : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

do these folks have a web site or contact number?

5. demarpaint

demarpaint Well-Known Member

Emails sent with contact info.

Frank D

6. reed mosser

reed mosser Well-Known Member

You may want to try some 80 grain Hornady A-maxes too. They are very sleek. I know you can get 3600 FPS with the 22-243 75 and 80 grain pills. The fastest powders in 22-250 ackley 22-243 were RL 22 and 7828. I am going to be trying ramshot magnum soon in a 22-243 ackley, ill let you know how it works out. Try some 7828 SSC and i bet you ll have the speed and accuracy you want. Got to love those fast 22' slinging high B.C bullets. Nice rifle

7. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

If you could compair their quality whaere would they fall ?
    1)E.R. Shaw , Adams&Bennit

2)Douglas , Pac-Nor

3) Hart ,Lilja ,Krieger

are they button rifled or cut rifled?

8. B Jordan

[ QUOTE ]
    If you could compair their quality whaere would they fall ?
    1)E.R. Shaw , Adams&Bennit

2)Douglas , Pac-Nor

3) Hart ,Lilja ,Krieger

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really know what to look for to tell you how high quality rates i have just owned this one. and it worked out great for me but i can tell you the price was 265.00 so it is priced about the same as the other high quality barrels

[ QUOTE ]
    2)Douglas , Pac-Nor

[/ QUOTE ]

is pacnor not as good as hart,lilja,krieger ????
    damnit i just bought 2 of them last month !!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    are they button rifled or cut rifled?

[/ QUOTE ]

they are cut rifling

9. B Jordan

[ QUOTE ]
    The fastest powders in 22-250 ackley 22-243 were RL 22 and 7828

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried 7828 with a 75 grn A-max today went up to 45.5 grns without much pressure avged 3585fps with groups staying around the 1/2" mark
    also tried retumbo run it to 50 grns and avged 3759 without much pressure could not fit anymore in the case lol. i backed it off to 48.5 grns and it avged 3619fps only shot 2 five shot groups with this load one was the best group out of this rifle .186 the other was around the 1/2" mark

10. reed mosser

reed mosser Well-Known Member

I knew you had a lot of room for improvement in the speed department. Your getting the speed without the pressure whats not to love. If you like the 75 a-max you got to get som new 80 grain a-max, they are very sexy, almost look like a 90. Glad to see things are working out. When you get a good barrel you can do no wrong.

11. loader 1

loader 1 New Member

could someone post a ph # for brux barrels thanks, loader1

12. esromvre

esromvre Member

13. esromvre

esromvre Member

Brian
    I am very glad that you are happy with your barrel, and hope to do more business in the furure.
    Keep Shooting
    Ervin

14. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

This post is 3 years old. I'm interested if your concerns have been addressed. How is that 22-243 doing? What is the condition of the BBL 3 years later? Is it history? What loads did it prefer?