Brunton ADC weather meter

davewilson

Cabela's has these on sale? for 120. they have everything we need to shoot long range with. anyone know if they're as good as a Kestrel or should i just pay 145 and get the 2500?

Dave, I have both and the 2500 goes everywhere with me.

2500- has replacement parts that I know I can get, It has a cover, It's easy to use "Dummy Proof", and I can turn it off.

Summit- Can't turn it off (unless you take the battery out), don't really trust the little spinny jobber in light winds, no supplied cover and is not very user friendly. It keeps track of plenty of things but if you are using it strictly for Exbal you will wish you had bought the 2500.

WIshed I woulda got the kestrel as well! The Brunton has to small a opening for a light wind which has already been stated. Also dont like the fact that you cant turn it off. I got it for a Bday present though and it will do basically all I need it to do which is give me the temp and wind speed. I have trouble getting wind speed though if its less then 5mph. However we all know a 2-3 mph wind will definately move your bullets at 600-1000 yards enough to miss what you want to hit! I will have to upgrade, some day...

I have two meters, one is the Brunton Sherpa, I like it because I don't have to worry about turning if off; the one battery will last a full year it left on the BP mode. But it does not measure humidity.
My second one is a Skymaster; a bit larger but does measure humidity.
Do not be deceived; in drastic humidity changes you may face changes from close to 3/4" at 100 yards to 3" at 1500 yards. That's nothing you say... Well it's a bunch considering all the other factors that play at longer distances. 3 inches would just make the difference between a hit and a miss. If you're just going to be shooting within 700 yards then you don't need a weather station, just use standard values for sea level, when going to different elevations just punch in the elevation and leave the rest the same. My goodness it'll be close enough. Do you self a favor and buy the right one the first time so you don't have to buy two. Like me. :(

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.