Browning Shortrac help

OneShot0351

dream that been floating in my mind...... does anyone know a gunsmith that will rebarrel a browning shorttrac?
talked to several gunsmith that gave the flat out answer NO before i ever got to start on what i was wanting to do.
I am wanting to put a Hart , fluted barrel on a browning shorttrac, Hart does not rebarrel a shorttrac. wanting to get a fluted blank to put on it. maybe have a little heavier barrel.
-if this was possible would the flutes have to stop where the gas block makes contact with the barrel on the bottom?
-would the barrel have to be the same diameter as the factory barrel in order for the gas system to work properly?( betting on yes)
- the fnar has a heavier barrel(no i do not want an fnar)
-just looking for a cool look and maybe get a knotch better accuracy out of it.

oneshot,
Don't know that it's ever been done, but the idea has run through my head also. I imagine it would be cost prohibitive but what an awesome rifle it would make. Browning could really cash in on the LR (Tacti-Kool) craze if they would screwa longer, fluted, varmint profile barrel on that semi-automatic. I would actually consider buying one. Probably have to take out a 2nd mortage.

Just an FYI: My dad being a southpaw, shot pump shotguns and lever action rifles most of his life. He purchased one of the first Model 81 Browning BLR in .243 Win. He evenually shot the factory barrel (20") out and through much letter writing (pre-internet) found a company in Texas that would replace the barrel on his BLR. It was none other than McGowen Barrels and this was before they moved their operation to Kalispell, Montana.

They fitted the rifle with a CM 26" Varmint-sporter profile barrel and it shot and looked extremely good when my Dad first received it. I remember he expressed a desire to get a faster twist (1-8) .243 but I think McGowen only had the standard twist at the time (1-9.25 or 1-10). I haven't done a lot with it since he passed away, but I sill have it.

Anyway, there's something to ponder. Wish my Dad was here. JohnnyK.

could not count the number of deer i have watched fall victim to a browning BAR and BLR over the years, from dad and grandfather having ones in .270 from the early 80's and uncle w/ blr in 30-06 and me cutting yards at 14yo to get the long trac in .270 in 2004 when they cam out....

i want the newer oil finish in 243 with the previous stated barrel, just think that would be the sweetest shooting best looking rifle around.

i know the FNAR comes with a varmint barrel and detach magazine not looking for that extra weight of the dbm and dont want the straight flutes.
browning make the safari in a heaviercontour barrel, but i want the reciever and stock style of the shorttrac. or i would just have someone flute the safari.

and if i could really dream big! i would have the shorttrac reciever machined in steel like older BAR's instead of the newer aluminum... i know if it could be done id have 4 of them ordered in a heart beat(me,dad,brother, and grandpa all have one) of course one would have to be built in long trac bc no man could convince my old man there is a better whiteail cartridge than the .270 win

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.