Browning saltwood stocks

specweldtom

Does anyone have a system for salvaging the Browning stocks that have salt in them? Over the years I have tried sealing the surface of these stocks with every kind of finish I could think of, but nothing has been successful. Salt always gets out somewhere and attacks the metal. Has anyone tried soaking them, steaming them , or ???? The ones that I know of that were sent back to Browning did the same thing shortly after they were returned, so Browning apparently didn't know how to stop it either. I don't know how many of them are left out there, but I have one that I just can't give up on.

Don't know why I haven't thought to ask sooner.

Thanks, Tom

Browning and their salt wood..

I left a Safari Grade in my dads gun gun vault in 1969. I did two tours in Vietnam. Came back and went to Alaska to work on the oil line for another 2 years. Then returned to go to college for the next 6 years. In 1980 I pulled the Browning out of my dads vault. It looked pristine until you took it out of the stock. It was absolutely eaten up with rust below the stock line. I called Browning and they admitted they had a problem. They said they advertised for those who had these guns to return them to Browning for repair. I sent the rifle to Browning. After a 9 month wait they said for $900.00 they would repair the gun. I said no thanks, please return it as it is. They then sent a letter saying the rifle was no longer safe and they would not return it. I had to hire a lawyer to send them a threatening letter. About 3 months later they returned my rifle without a firing pin. After another couple of letters from the lawyer they sent the firing pin. They said they made repairs for free on these guns for about 10 years. They said they no longer repair them any more. I told them I had been a Browning man, but that was 34 years ago and I have not bought another Browning since. I will never buy another Browning again. I would encourage no one else to ever buy a Browning firearm. I am sure John Browning is most likely rolling over in his grave.

Rustystud

Yeah Rusty, one of the rifles I know about was mine. I sent it back to them, they refinished the stock, and by the time it got back to me, it was already swelling up again and oozing the white crap (salt) out of the end grain at the forend and around the safety and trigger guard. That's all they did. They didn't reblue the metal. I restocked it and had it reblued and forgot about sending anything back to them. My brother had the same experience with them.

They should have replaced your rifle, period.

I've got nothing to lose experimenting with the stock that I have. I'm going to research salt removal or neutralization and take a stab at it. Low priority.

Doesn't look promising. Tom

I used to fish in the ocean out of San Diego on the Long Range Trips. There was a product on the market that you sprayed on the rods/reels that nutralized the salt. I don't know if it's still on the market, but it's worth a shot. Salt-X, Salt-away or something like that. maybe soak the stock in it, dry the stock and re-finish? Sounds like a lot of work! I'll do some digging and see if I can find it.

http://www.ezgreensolutions.com/SaltAttacker.htm

http://www.saltx.com/

Here ya go. I used the Saltx and it seemed to work, but again my application wasn't the same as yours. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Try it if you wish but the salt is impregnated into the wood. There is no fix. Corrosion will just start again--throwing good money after bad.

esshup, Thanks very much for the links. I put both in my favorites so I can go back and read up on them. The Easy-Green looks like a real possibility. I'll have to try it, or the SaltX.

BH and ICAN, You're probably right. Nothing that I've tried or have heard of anybody else trying ever worked, but this salt eating enzyme sounds worth trying.

It'll probably be a while before I fool with it, and longer before I know if it worked, but I'll post any results, good or bad.

Thanks to all, Tom

I am looking at a Safari Browning Olympia high power rifle for sale. I would guess 1967. Execellent finish and engraving. My concern is if it was a salt stock. There is no evidence of rusting on the barrel which was taken off the stock and there are no rust around any of the screws. I did not take off the kick plate only because it is too dificult. It has not been tested yet and I am not really sure how to go about doing that. Would it be a safe buy? I couldn't pass up the price at $4880. 00. Any suggestions?

Barb

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.