browning abolt vs ruger mark 2 m77

inline6power

If you were going to build one of these for 1000yd mulies and steel which one would you build and why . both are 7 mag guns and the browning is a medallion

Thanks for the reply those are the 2 guns I am trying to decide on which 1 to send to gun works for a long range package and load development

Browning! Not knocking the Ruger but I have had some browning a bolts that would flat out shoot! and I have never got a ruger to shoot as good as them.

Yeah I am starting to lean towards the Browning it only has 20 down the tube the Ruger has 2:30 down the tube. I am starting to think the browning maybe the better choice for long range gun out of the 2

I agree with Browning, but building a rifle implies rebarreling and perhaps numerous other modifications. If that's the case, there's probably not much real difference.

well I talked to Aaron from gun works and we came up with a game plan for the Browning it's getting a carbon barrel new brake trigger from jewel McMillan a5 stock and a few other goodies for the action I will definitely post pictures when I get back pretty excited

I have an abolt that shoots 1" at 200 from factory. You won't be sorry with that move.

My son and I both have A-Bolts and would not trade them for anything else. My 300WM shoots 1.25 inch groups at 300 yds from the box. That is good enough for anything I plan on doing.

Have not shot a Ruger so I can't help there.

Last edited:
Own a A-Bolt Boss 300wsm that clover leafs at 200yrds . Just purchased the twin to it in 7mm wsm , both have Vortex pst scopes , have not shot 7mm wsm yet . I am still new to this LR game but wondering why you wouldn't shoot gun 1st and if was accurate enough to your own standards why make any changes an save $. Love my 300 with 190 bergers. About time Brownings got a little love.

Own a A-Bolt Boss 300wsm that clover leafs at 200yrds . Just purchased the twin to it in 7mm wsm , both have Vortex pst scopes , have not shot 7mm wsm yet . I am still new to this LR game but wondering why you wouldn't shoot gun 1st and if was accurate enough to your own standards why make any changes an save $. Love my 300 with 190 bergers. About time Brownings got a little love.

the abolt i sent in shot sub moa no problem out of the box. gun has a lot of sentimental value because it was my grandfathers. i have always wanted a gunwerks lr100 with their carbon barrel since we have 5 christiansen arms guns i grew to like the heat transfer capabilities with the carbon. since i had the abolt in the safe i said why not have this gun turned into what i want even though it shot fantastic. so now i am basically getting a gunwerks carbon x gun with an abolt action that will be chambered in their 7mmLRM and it should shoot bettter at 1000yds than most of the guns i have in the safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.