browning abolt vs ruger mark 2 m77

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by inline6power, Nov 9, 2012.

1. inline6power

inline6power Active Member

If you were going to build one of these for 1000yd mulies and steel which one would you build and why . both are 7 mag guns and the browning is a medallion

2. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Browning for me. I haven't shot a browning that wasn't accurate. I am sure there are some out there that are not accurate but I haven't found one yet.

3. inline6power

Thanks for the reply those are the 2 guns I am trying to decide on which 1 to send to gun works for a long range package and load development

4. dragman

dragman Well-Known Member

Browning! Not knocking the Ruger but I have had some browning a bolts that would flat out shoot! and I have never got a ruger to shoot as good as them.

5. inline6power

Yeah I am starting to lean towards the Browning it only has 20 down the tube the Ruger has 2:30 down the tube. I am starting to think the browning maybe the better choice for long range gun out of the 2

6. Cornfield Flats

Cornfield Flats Active Member

I agree with Browning, but building a rifle implies rebarreling and perhaps numerous other modifications. If that's the case, there's probably not much real difference.

7. inline6power

well I talked to Aaron from gun works and we came up with a game plan for the Browning it's getting a carbon barrel new brake trigger from jewel McMillan a5 stock and a few other goodies for the action I will definitely post pictures when I get back pretty excited

8. crittrgittr

crittrgittr Well-Known Member

I have an abolt that shoots 1" at 200 from factory. You won't be sorry with that move.

9. PappySmurf

PappySmurf New Member

My son and I both have A-Bolts and would not trade them for anything else. My 300WM shoots 1.25 inch groups at 300 yds from the box. That is good enough for anything I plan on doing.

Have not shot a Ruger so I can't help there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  10. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Own a A-Bolt Boss 300wsm that clover leafs at 200yrds . Just purchased the twin to it in 7mm wsm , both have Vortex pst scopes , have not shot 7mm wsm yet . I am still new to this LR game but wondering why you wouldn't shoot gun 1st and if was accurate enough to your own standards why make any changes an save $. Love my 300 with 190 bergers. About time Brownings got a little love.

11. inline6power

the abolt i sent in shot sub moa no problem out of the box. gun has a lot of sentimental value because it was my grandfathers. i have always wanted a gunwerks lr100 with their carbon barrel since we have 5 christiansen arms guns i grew to like the heat transfer capabilities with the carbon. since i had the abolt in the safe i said why not have this gun turned into what i want even though it shot fantastic. so now i am basically getting a gunwerks carbon x gun with an abolt action that will be chambered in their 7mmLRM and it should shoot bettter at 1000yds than most of the guns i have in the safe.