Browning A-5 barrel length

specweldtom

Don't know much about shotguns, but my favorite has always been the A-5 humpback. I have just picked up a "Light Twelve" that has the wrong barrel on it. The barrel is a vent rib 3" chamber made in Belgium.

It measures 31 1/2" from the extraction rim to the muzzle. I've never seen or heard of one this long (unless I'm measuring wrong). It is original in about 80% condition, except the bore is perfect.

If anyone is interested, I would trade it for a 2 3/4" vent rib Belgium barrel.

I know that shotguns are stepchildren on this site, but maybe someone has info or interest.

Thanks, Tom

Found some info in the "Blue Book". The barrel address is St. Louis MO and it is serialized to a magnum. Puts it's manufacture 1953 or earlier. It's also full choked (one *).

Tom

Before you swap barrels,I recommend you check with Browning to determine if they are interchangeable. I own an older model A 5 chambered for 2 3/4 and wanted to install a barrel chambered for 3 inch and was told in won't work. If you have a good gunsmith in your area you have a couple of options. I suspect the barrel is restricted to.689 (the old full Choke). either shorten the barrel to achieve the desired choke , or take it back a little further and have choke tubes installed. Good luck

bullseye1

If its an old Belgium barrel which it sound like steel wont work through it anyway. I think your barrel is worth more than the 2/34 inch one anyway so keep searching. If I remember you need to get the made in Japan ones to shoot steel shot through them. The older Belgium barrels are not steel shot compatible. Of course, the wads are better today than they used to be so who knows. I think you just have a straight 30 inch barrel which was common.

hello. having owned a couple of A5s the barrel on 3" mags came in 26',28" 30"&32".2 3/4" mag.sshells will function in 3"barrel &3"receiver with ring adjustment in spring. putting parts from 2 3/4" guns on 3"guns will likely malfunction.see a good gunsmith if your smart!!lightbulb

hello. having owned a couple of A5s the barrel on 3" mags came in 26',28" 30"&32".2 3/4" mag.sshells will function in 3"barrel &3"receiver with ring adjustment in spring. putting parts from 2 3/4" guns on 3"guns will likely malfunction.see a good gunsmith if your smart!!lightbulb

Thanks for the reply and sage advise. I checked with Browning and a reputable gunsmith and it can't be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.