Browning .280 Remington A-Bolt & Berger VLD's

jtnm

Before I spend the coin on the bullets to try, could some one that has one tell me if I will have any issues with bullet seating depth with the 168gr or 140gr VLD's in the magazine? I don't want to have to seat them just to fight the magazine. This is my wife's rifle, I love the Berger bullets in my 300 RUM & had great experience with them. I wanted to set her up with these if they will not be to long for the magazine. My mother will be using the gun on an Bull Elk hunt this October.
Any recommendations on loads with these bullets, weight, any data, and experiences will be greatly appreciated. Gun has the Boss Muzzle Brake on it with the short 18" barrel. We have shot Hornady 140gr in past years for Elk. Will the 168gr be a great match for this caliber?

Thanks
John T

I just loaded the 280 last week for one of my clients, the rifle was a ruger m77 mk2.
There were two loads that shot exceptionally well with the 168 Bergers.

52.0 grains IMR 4831
CCI 200
Win brass
168 Berger
Velocity through chrono 2700
0.5 moa consistantly

51.0 grains IMR 4350
CCI 200
Win brass
168 Berger
Did not chrono
0.535 moa

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.