Brown Precision Stock

CPerkins

I was helping my dad clean out his attic last weekend and we came across a Brown Precision Stock that he bought a long time ago and forgot he had. It if for a 700 long action ADL and says standard. It has blocks and has instructions to be skim bedded. Is this stock any good? Any idea what contour barrel would work in it. He would like to use a Hart #4, should this be possible?

Cody. Brown Precision was one of the first synthetic stock makers. Made good stuff. Still in business as far as I know. Los Molinos,CA.

I currently own 6 of the Brown Precisions. They are good solid stocks. Only problems is if it is direct from the mold and not factory finished it takes considerable work to get them smooth, bedded and finished. If it is a standard it should accept a factory sporter barrel. Not real familiar with your mentioned contour but I have put a #3 Shilen/Douglas into them with no problem. You will just have to take some measurements or call/email Brown Precision.

Cody,

If its a std hunting style stock, classic design, it will only be a drop in for the factory rem bbls. You can inlet them, but if the bbl is larger as the #4 is, you will go through the glass cloth in the forarm area. If you do that its best to replace the cloth and bed the entire action and barrel. Wrap some tape around the barrel so you will end up with a floated barrel.

Brown Precision was my stock of choice 20 years ago.

Dave

Back in the late 1960's Chet Brwown and Lee Six were working for the phone company in California and got into fiberglass stocks back then. I happened to learn of him when I bought a tough fiberglass suitcase for long stint international flying.
I became one of his first dealers. Chet is gone but his son is carrying on. The old stocks needed many many hours of pin filling and sanding ( do not sand into the foam core) but are tough and good. Tape the barrel to get a float or use a 2" "front of the lug" pad for optimum accuracy. Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.