Broken Leg Mulie Buck

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Long Time Long Ranger, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I couldn't hobble but a couple hundred yards with my broken leg so had to take the first one I saw. If I could have walked into some good spots I think I could have got a really good one. Got this guy before sun up on opening morning. 200 grain nosler ballistic tip at 3660 fps out of my 338-378. Turned him a flip.

[​IMG]

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Ahhhhhhh, I see you got it to work.;)

Sorry about the leg, but congratulations on a great buck.

3. JPRITT

JPRITT Well-Known Member

I would love to see what a "really good one" looks like! that is a great animal nice work.
    you wyoming guys are spoiled :)

4. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Congrats, that's a great looking deer. Love to hear some measurements on him.

Sorry to hear bout your leg, get better.

5. 270fan

270fan Active Member

I'd almost consider breaking my leg for one like that. Congratulations on the nice deer and I hope the leg mends quickly and completely. Thanks for sharing the peicture andd the info.

6. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Nice going! Doesn't seem like you were too inconvenienced by your leg.

7. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

.....Lone Ranger, So sorry you had to settle for such an inferior animal. Next time call me and I will assist you by culling the more undesirable members of the species until you find the one you really want.
    Sincerely,
    Tonto

8. Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper Well-Known Member

That's a great buck on two GOOD legs. Congrats. ;)

9. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

Nice buck there, HopAlong. ;)

10. Wlfdg

Wlfdg Well-Known Member

Nice work! I've hiked half of eastern Idaho and haven't found a shooter like that!

11. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

Sarcasm asside, The luckiest hunt I could ever imagine. The biggest mistake I made Saturday morning was not being in Vegas because I would be a millionaire right now with that kinda luck. I have been bedridden for nearly five months with a rebuilt shattered left leg. I just couldn't stand a hunting season slipping away without at least making a drive up into some deer country. My wife ran me out of the house to go hunting and get my fussy butt out of the house. Hurt like heck just to drive the suburban up the bumpy BLM road. I hobbled a few yards to get to a good glassing spot just as enough light appeared to see a long way. Immediately my Zeiss 10-40's focus on this huge 300 pound plus deer with his head in some brush. Couldn't believe it when he raised his head. Ranged him, folded down the bipod, got the 4-16 Burris Black Diamond focused, put the proper mil dot on him and one shot sent his feet up and back down. First shot I heard fired on opening morning.

Now what do I do with a broken leg and a huge buck. When your this lucky don't worry. Some local guys who contributed to a western hunting magazine glass me trying to dress the deer and see the pretty good horns sticking up above the brush. They come running down there and all say, "yep, that's him". Ends up some guys had been on this buck trying to get him and I spoiled the party not knowing a thing about the deer. They dressed him for me and carried the meat to the cooler I had in the suburban. They were great guys. They also used there professional camera equipment to take the pictures since I didn't have a camera. I was just getting out of the house and wasn't prepared since I had no idea I would get anything. They scored him at 186 with the bad fork. If both forks had matched he would have scored 198 typical!

So, all I do is hobble a few yards, shoot a deer, and wonderful new friends come by and take care of everything for me including the pictures. Then I drive back home. What a day!

There are some very nice people out there in the woods.

12. MT4XFore

MT4XFore Well-Known Member

That story makes that buck even more special!! Double congratulations.

My offer still stands, though.

13. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Luck...is an inadequate term for this story.

14. Wlfdg

Wlfdg Well-Known Member

Karma works :D